How do I change the name of a task button

Mike Der December 23, 2021

When I'm dragging a task from one column (in progress) to another column (blocked) in my Kanban board, 

In the image attached, the bottom of the task it says "In BA".  I don't know what that even means.  I want it to say "Blocked" since I'm dragging it to the "Blocked Column"  Note that the column "blocked" was a name that I assigned.  

image.png

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

The button you are seeing is the name of the transition in the workflow.   You'll need an administrator to edit the workflow and give the transition a better name!

(My guess is that one of them re-purposed an unused status of "In BA" to be for "Blocked" instead, but forgot to rename the transition(s) into it!)

Mike Der January 4, 2022

Thanks Nic!  Oddly enough... I am an admin but am unsure how to modify the transition in the workflow.  What screen do I need to go to in order to make this modification?  I was able to find the workflow screen but when I try to delete "statuses" like Blocked, it gives me the following message indicating that I cant do this to active workflows..Annotation 2022-01-04 112105.pngAnnotation 2022-01-04 112233.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

You are in the right place there, but no, the draft editor cannot delete status from the workflow.  This is because you need to through a migration exercise when you remove status, and the workflow editor can't do that, it's part of the workflow change functionality.

What you could do here is "orphan" the status, such that there is no way to get an issue into it, but that would still leave it available for reporting and board columns, plus a load of issues probably in it!

What you should do is

Copy the workflow and edit the copy.  This will let you delete steps/status from the workflow because no issues are using it.

Go to the workflow schemes that are using the old workflow and edit them, changing each usage of the old workflow to your new one.  This will trigger the migration, where you tell it what status issues should take instead of the one you have removed.

Like Mike Der likes this
0 votes
Mike Der January 4, 2022

Thanks Nic!  Oddly enough... I am an admin but am unsure how to modify the transition in the workflow.  What screen do I need to go to in order to make this modification?  I was able to find the workflow screen but when I try to delete "statuses" like Blocked, it gives me the following message indicating that I cant do this to active workflows...

Annotation 2022-01-04 112105.pngAnnotation 2022-01-04 112233.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events