How can I save a filter-specific column configuration?

Richard Kramer May 4, 2021

Hi,

I struggle with saving a particular column selection and order for different filters that I created.

I followed the guidelines given here: 

Save your search as a filter | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support --> "Define a filter-specific column order"

...but don't receive the described result. As soon as I change the columns in my saved filter it transfers the column configuration to all other filters too and the other way round: when I go back and reset the columns it is then also reset in my saved filter...

Can someone help me out here?

Big thanks! Richard

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

When you open a filter and then elect to modify the columns, are you making sure to select the Filter tab in the column selection pop-up?

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 11.37.49 AM.png

Richard Kramer May 4, 2021

Hi Trudy,

That was exactly what I didn't do 🤦‍♂️ - Thanks for your quick help! Working fine now...

Like # people like this
Bhaskar Bhattacharjee February 14, 2023

This response is very helpful. I overlooked those tabs for months and was struggling with columns changing every time I updated them for one filter. Thank you. :) 

Like # people like this
Allison Tumminia November 28, 2023

I am selecting the column option for Filter, not My Defaults, and am still having this issue. I select the preferred option for that filter but they do not save and the columns under my defaults continue to show.

Like Bless likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2023

@Allison Tumminia 

If your filter has already been saved and you are now trying to change the columns, try this.

1. Open the filter.

2. Change the columns under the Columns > Filter option.

3. Make a small change to the filter JQL, such as changing a ORDER BY clause from ASC to DESC.

4. Execute the search.

5. Save the filter.

6. Reverse the small change from step 3 and execute the filter again.

7. Save the filter again.

The columns you selected for the filter would be saved at that point 

mlacha January 8, 2024

I am having the same issue, but when I follow the steps above, I cannot select" filter" when updating the columns. See below. Is this a permission or setting issue?

Screenshot 2024-01-08 191040.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2024

Hello @mlacha 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The option is only available when you are working with filters through the View all issues page available under the Filters menu at the top of the screen.

You appear to be accessing one of the built-in filters that is available from the Issues option for a specific project.

mlacha January 8, 2024

@Trudy Claspill not sure I follow. My steps:

1. I go to Filters and select view all issues
  2. This brings me to an "Issue Screen" with all created issues within the last 30 days. From this screen I can update and save a filter but do not have the option of "filter" when updating columns. The New search option is selected.
  3. I go to the all issues default filter and same result
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2024

Thank you for the clarification @mlacha 

The Filter option under the Columns setting can be used to set columns only for a filter that has been saved. If you have created a search but have not saved the filter, then the Filter option won't be available.

Siddharth Ramesh January 29, 2024

@Trudy Claspill I have saved the filter but the "Filter" option is still not available in the configure columns section. Is there any permissions that needs to be added first? I also have some custom fields added on my list of columns. Will that be an issue?

Like Thierry Dalon likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2024

Hello @Siddharth Ramesh 

Please provide a screen image of what you are seeing that shows the title of the filter and the Save button next to it and what you see in the Columns pull-down.

Antonio D'Errico February 21, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill i have the same issue. @mlacha already pasted a screenshot here.

this is how it looks like. this is a filter which i created. so as you can see if you look a this screenshot you wont find the "filter" tab you will find only "my default"

so the question is: where is the tab filter not there???

image.png

Siddharth Ramesh February 21, 2024

@mlacha @Antonio D_Errico I actually found out that this issue has to do with the new filter search version. If you switch back to the old issue search view, the Filter option becomes available. You will still have to save the filter before it is available though. Hope that was helpful.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 094044.png

Like Zian Choy likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2024

@mlacha @Antonio D_Errico @Siddharth Ramesh 

You can learn more about the New Issue Search here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Introducing-the-new-issue-search-to-Jira-Cloud-users/ba-p/2276375

I see among the comments on that article there is one from 

Jordan Koukides ATLASSIAN TEAM Jul 05, 2023

...stating...

Currently, configuration of columns is only stored on a 'per user' basis. We are planning to add functionality to configure columns for a specific filter, and also bring the capability for admins to configure columns for a specific project or instance. You can check if the new experience has been rolled out to you by following the instructions to find the page at the start of this comment.

Like mlacha likes this
mlacha February 21, 2024

@Trudy Claspill @Siddharth Ramesh @Antonio D_Errico I was able to address my issue. I was trying to create filters with specific columns for my team. After further research I realized I could achieve this with dashboards rather than filters. This has the added bonus of me creating less filters and the team interacts with the dashboard more than my previous filters. 

0 votes
Anjali_Sridhar January 24, 2024

Hi,

I changed the columns for one of my filters. I did not do it with the Filter tab in Columns (just learnt of that!) It seems to have changed the columns for all the filters, even ones I do not own. Is there an easy way I can revert the columns for the other filters that belong to other projects?  

0 votes
Darren Govoni October 9, 2023

Hi, 

Does this solution still work? I don't see the "Columns" drop down for filters, just Edit and Delete.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2023

@Darren Govoni 

Please provide a screen image of what you see.

Darren Govoni October 10, 2023

jira-filters.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2023

@Darren Govoni 

That is not the same area being discussed in this post. Those are custom filters created for an agile board (scrum or kanban) for a Team Managed projects.

The topic of this post concerns the use of the "View all issues" screen under the Filters menu, and the creation there of Filters that can be saved and reused later in other areas such as dashboard gadgets. On the View all issues screen it is possible to display the results of a filter in a column/tabular layout and select the columns/fields you want displayed.

Ok, but to me a filter is a filter and a column is a column.

So is it not possible to specify what "columns" my "filters" apply to?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2023

In this case the Columns referred to in this post issue fields, and are used to specify which data elements are to be displayed for the issues selected by the filter. The filter is not being "applied to" columns.

In your case you are creating a filter that will applied to an agile board. Columns on an agile board represent the Statuses to which an issue in the board may be set.

The two columns are not the same thing.

When creating a filter for a board you are specify criteria to reduce the issues displayed on your board. The filter will apply to the board overall. If you want to reduce the issues displayed in just one column/status of your board while continuing to display all the issues in the other columns/statuses of your board, then you need to construct your filter so that all the issues in the other columns/statuses are selected and the reduction criteria is applied to the issues in only one column/status.

Example: if StatusX is the status in the column you want to affect...

status != StatusX or (status=StatusX and other criteria to reduce what displays in the StatusX column)

Given that your topic (board quick/custom filters) is not the same topic as the original post, if you need assistance with board filters I encourage you to start a new Question to provide the details of your scenario and to specify the assistance you would like to get.

What a long winded unhelpful reply. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2023

Here's the short answer.

The columns on the "View all issues" screen are not the same as the columns in an agile board.

So, no, it is not possible to apply the Column concept from the "View all issues" screen to your custom filters in your agile board.

If that does not address your question in the simple manner you desire, rather than trying to pursue your entirely different topic on a post that is over 2 years old, please post a new Question thread explaining your scenario and I'm sure other community members will be able to help you.

Like DavidinTexas likes this
0 votes
Steph Bannister March 3, 2022

Hello! I have this problem but i can save the filtered column set but I spent ages reordering them in the way I need (even adding them in the correct order) and then when I added a new column it reset the column order entirely! This is SO frustrating. How do I save the column order within a filter?

Carolyn Glendening March 16, 2022

I found this - does it fix your issue? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-30714

Like Adrian M likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events