Epic Links for multiple projects displayed within Epic Link drop down list

m.fairholm December 16, 2021

Hi, I am pretty new to Jira admin, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

One of our customers has contacted me to say that when active in multiple projects within Jira Cloud instance and viewing Jira items associated with one project, project Epic Links for alternate projects are displayed within the Epic Links drop down list (in conjunction with the current project's Epic Links).

Steps

1. opens an issue in a project

2. and then in the details pane to the right clicks to the right of 'Epic Link' and a drop down menu appears of all the available epic items .  This list is showing epic items from other projects.

Does anyone know how to get the list to only show epics available in the current project?

Also, this is not happening in every project.

Many thanks

Max

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

It won't do that - the point of Epics is that they can be cross-project items, for gathering together larger pieces of work, or groups of stories.

Not sure what you mean by 'It won't do that".  I don't want it to do that but it is.

Are you saying that you are suppose to see epics from other projects you are a member of so you can like them to the current project?  So it is working as designed and the problem is with the project where she cannot see epics from other projects.

Thanks

Maxine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Yes, that's exactly what Epics are for - going across projects.

m.fairholm December 17, 2021

Perfect.  Thank you.  Just have to figure out now why one particular project cannot see epics from other projects.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

There is not a method to restrict the Epic Links pull-down to showing only Epics in the same project as the issue being viewed.

m.fairholm December 17, 2021

Thank you.  I now understand that to be true, but I have one project that is not showing epics from other projects as it should do and I have no idea why.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

A default list of Epics will display when you first click in the field. I'm not sure what the filtering is on that - it may be just the local project, or it may be recently viewed Epics. The use should be able to start typing in the Name or Issue Key for Epics in other projects and the list should dynamically refilter to show potential matches to what is typed in.

Like Thierry Dalon likes this
Marc Isikoff January 10, 2024

Probably if the install is LOB or company specific the Epic can only traverse within the install.

We have 8+ LOBs and each has their own install - within any LOB, regardless of how many projects exist, an Epic can traverse - it just cannot cross the LOB line since that is a different install.

Suggest an answer