Desire to have new issues created in the Backlog with status Backlog

Mike Morris June 4, 2021

For this Project, I'm using team-managed, Kanban with Backlog. I want to have a status "Backlog" but if I add it to the Workflow then I have to assign that status to one of columns on my Board. This project is for non-technical, not software development users so I am keeping the Board simple (Ready, In Progress, Done). Issues are moved to Ready from the Backlog.

But I want the users to be able to return issues to the Backlog but with the appropriate status.

I've tried adding the Backlog status to the workflow but that clutters the Board. If I do not have a Backlog status, then issues created in the Backlog start with status Ready.

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Buzon June 4, 2021

misread the question - changing my answer.  You're unable to add a status to a ticket in a backlog, it's just in the backlog.  Once you move something into the backlog, if it had a status - that goes away, but will return when it's moved out of the backlog.

So, I think the answer here is "you can't do that".  You either have a status because it's on the board, or you don't because it's in the backlog.

Mike Morris June 8, 2021

Upon create, everything gets a status. If you check the workflow there is a Start with transition Create that goes to some status. The problem is that if I want to only have 3 status values Ready, In Progress and Done that the create will make it status of Ready while it sits in the Backlog.

I found that unacceptable so I have the Create pushing it to status Back Log.. But then that status has to have a column on the board. I would actually love it if the Create left the status blank but that is not my experience.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2021

Hi @Mike Morris

my suggestion is so simple that I think I am missing a point - but hey an answer here does not hurt.

Did you enable the separated backlog in your project? This would not lead to another column in your board but you can put issues separately to it.

Please tell me what I am missing, because that literally sounds too easy.

Thanks!
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events