Creating a field for build info

Ian Ramsay April 5, 2021

Hi there,

I'm looking to create a custom field for attaching to issues that would allow users to input build information. For example, this bug was identified in X build, or this feature was completed in Y build.

I could comfortably create a simple custom text line input, but I want to know what might be best here. I was thinking a date and time field, but the reality is we can push multiple builds a day and that doesn't capture the build number. Likewise, a checklist is fine too, but how would that be populated?

Are there any automated ways to populate build info, and have people select from that? That would be the dream.

Anyway, appreciate the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Jira out of the box has the affects version and fix version fields for this. Affects version would be the build a bug was identified in, fix version would be the one that contains the fix.

The advantage of using those, is that you can also use the release hub and several built-in reports to track your release status, create release notes etc.

For more information, see also this support article

Ian Ramsay April 8, 2021

Thankyou, I'm going to see what I can implement to get this working, then circle back when completed. Appreciated Walter!

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events