Copy edited comments

tornike tsiklauri July 16, 2021

Hi,

I want to know if it is possible to do this.

I have an automation to copy comments to linked issues when created, but I also need to copy the comments when edit, but not as a new comment but edit the corresponding comment

If I edit this comment 

capture1.png

I want this comment to be edited

capture2.png

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2021

Hi @tornike tsiklauri 

I understand that you have setup automation in Jira Cloud to copy issues and comments from one project into another and are looking to be able to sync the changes when a user edits a comment in the source issue into the comment in the destination issue.

Currently automation in Jira Cloud does not have an action which can edit a comment as an automation action.  I had not found another existing feature requests for this yet, so I went ahead and created this over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-77045

That said, I'm not sure how feasible this will be to implement within automation.  The main reason this would be difficult is that in order to edit an existing comment on a different issue, automation would need to identify the id of the comment itself. While is isn't necessary when copying the comment to the destination issue, it is needed for editing the correct existing comment.  In turn this is an added complexity of trying to sync comments between issues.

Sorry that I don't have a clear solution for this specific use case.  I think that the work-around I would try here would be to setup a trigger to look for a "Comment Edited", and then on the related issue you try to add the comment along with a header that indicates the comment was edited.  This could at least serve to show that the comment was edited, and contains the updated comment.  I understand if this is not what you are looking for exactly here, but I think this is probably the most feasible work-around that automation could achieve right now.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events