Can I create groups in my project

Subha Chaganty January 21, 2020

I have looked in the documentation, but there was no mention of setting up different groups in a project.  We used Version One before in our organization.  Is there a way I could create groups in my project and assign people to those particular groups.

Thanks in advance for your response.

3 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Subha Chaganty

What are you looking to use these groups for?

There are groups (sort of) in the form of roles, which are used as part of permissions. Is this what you're referring to - or are you looking to group users together and assign a "group" to an issue?

Ste

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Subha Chaganty 

Groups that a project-specific are called project roles. 

However, project roles are mostly used for permissions or notifications. 

You cannot assign a project role or group to a ticket. 

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hello @Subha Chaganty 

I'm afraid that's not possible, you can create a mail group and assign the issue to that mail group.

But you can try this workaround using a custom field

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-do-i-assign-issues-to-multiple-users-207489749.html?_ga=2.31555065.670042818.1579517307-990418750.1572862337

We divide the issue into sub-tasks and add watchers to the issue.

BR, Olga

Suggest an answer