Calculating average velocity

Jim Stewart December 17, 2021

Is there a way to find the average velocity over X number of sprints in a report? Or do I have to calculate that by hand? The current team is using hours but I guess I'd have the same question for story points. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

Hi @Jim Stewart 

I believe you are correct that you need to calculate average velocity by hand, or...

• export to a spreadsheet (or use the Google Sheets or Excel addin to make it repeatable)
  • investigate the marketplace for reporting/dashboard/ or JQL addons
  • build this with an automation rule (although it is a bit complicated to do so)

There have been several suggestions to add this feature over the years, which you may watch/vote for here to see progress.

Kind regards,
Bill

Yeah, I gotta say I'm surprised you guys don't do that. Seems like a must-have to me. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

I agree that seems like a missing feature to me also...And FYI that I'm just another customer, and not an employee of Atlassian.  :^)

Like Pratik Joshi likes this

Heh! Well I put my vote in for a feature that they should have had from Day One. Common sense I think. 

0 votes
Daina Tupule eazyBI
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2021

Hello,

You can check out the app eazyBI for many custom reports including reports for sprints. We have various examples of how you would like to analyze sprint velocity, via one board, in the project/epic, or more advanced by some custom parallel sprint grouping. 

Here is one report example for a velocity chart with running velocity in a board.

Here is a report example for several sprints overview and velocity in selected sprints.

We also have the option to create a custom grouping of sprints and calculate the velocity in parallel sprints

Daina / support@eazybi.com

Jim Stewart December 20, 2021

OK. I've installed the trial version. Thanks. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events