Burndown chart is counting incomplete issues as completed.

Frances Moncrief March 12, 2021

Example:  Sprint contains 10 backlog items.  7 are completed during sprint. The remaining 3 are "In Progress".  The 3 "In Progress" items are returned to the backlog at the end of the sprint.  When I view the sprint burndown chart, the 3 items are showing in the chart as completed with a status of "In Progress".  This seems like a bug... but perhaps it is another issue.  Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Hi @Frances Moncrief  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Would you please post an image of the chart showing what you describe?  That will help the community to provide you ideas.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

burndown.JPG

See Dev-219,222,238, and 206.  They are in the backlog (which is correct) and not Completed (Published/Versioned)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Thanks for that information. 

To confirm, you are noting the details shown on a NextGen project burndown chart, correct?

And, for the issue you noted, did any of them move to done during the sprint, and perhaps move back into progress?

Frances Moncrief March 14, 2021

This is a NextGen project.  They were moved to done before Sprint completion. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2021

Thanks for that information. 

I was asking about the ones showing as in progress still on that report.  If you look at the history for them did any move to done, back to in progress, and then forward to done again?

Frances Moncrief March 15, 2021

When I look at the chart, it looks like they were transitioned to done.. but I don't see any indication of them moved back to 'in progress'.  Here is what I am sure of.

1) Chart shows they were moved to Done and not moved back to in-progress.

2) Their status is 'In Progress' at the end of the sprint and they are now in the backlog at sprint completion.

3) The Velocity report does not include the corresponding points, which is correct since the work is not done. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2021

Frances, sorry as I do not know what else to suggest. I checked and there are no open defects like this in the public backlog for Next-Gen projects.  If you weren't on the free license I would suggest submitting a defect to Atlassian Support.

Perhaps someone else in the community who has seen this symptom will comment to help.

Frances Moncrief March 15, 2021

Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events