Backlog issue missing

Chris York May 28, 2021

I had created 4 new issues in the backlog, but had not assigned to any sprint.  I had a proactive team member who completed 2 of them yesterday.  While I can find them by searching but if I scroll through the list of backlog issues I cannot find them to assign to a Sprint so that sprint gets credit for completing the issue.

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Are you working in a Team Managed or Company Managed project?

For a Company Managed project, check the filter for the board to see if it is excluding the issues based on some data change that has been made to them.

If you can find the issues in a Search, you should be able to edit the Sprint field in them directly to add them to the desired sprint.

Chris York May 28, 2021

It is company managed project.  There are no filter for the board or in overall backlog.  When I open the issue the "Sprint" field is not available nor can I see how to add as an available field on the issue screen

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hi @Chris York 

I forgot to say - welcome to the community! :)

Typically in Company Managed projects that use Scrum, Done issues will automatically be excluded from the backlog.

As for accessing the Sprint field in the issue directly, you should see it in the right side pane of the issue. You may need to click on the Show More link below the field list to see it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.08.01 AM.png

If you still don't see it, you may need to click on the Configure link in the lower right to add the field to your display.

Chris York May 28, 2021

Thanks.  When I go to issue details I don't see the sprint field.  When I go to configure the sprint field is not a choice to add to the issue detail screen

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

Can you provide screen images of what you see?

What type of issues are these?

Chris York May 28, 2021

issue layout.pngJira Issue.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

Well, that's a little unusual.

I did some experimenting and I found that you can set up a scrum board for a project and add issues to sprints in the Backlog screen even if you don't include the Sprint field in the screen(s) for the issues.

So, it would appear that is what has happened in your case.

To fix it, you will have to modify the Screens associated with the Screen Scheme (associated with the Issue Type Screen Scheme) associated with your project, and add the Sprint field to the screens. Then it should be available to add to your Issue View under the Configure option.

Chris York May 28, 2021

Yes I asked the company admin to see if that can be done.  I can find the issue by searching, but it isn't visible in backlog or any sprint

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

The alternative is to reopen the issue. Then it should show up in the backlog again.

Chris York May 28, 2021

I tried that already and it didn't work

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

That would likely be a separate problem. If you want to explore that, can you elaborate on exactly what you did and how it didn't work?

Suggest an answer