Automation for Jira cloud - Issue Released

Amy Bass July 8, 2020

I am trying to create an automation in JIRA to transition an issue to a new status when the fixversion is released. 

I've set up the automation to trigger using Version Released and the action to be transition issue.

When I attempt to turn on the automation I receive the following error: 
The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. To run these components you must add a branch for this version or JQL. The following components require issues: Transition issue

Execute this rule when a version is released. You can access the version object in other components by using the 'version' smart value e.g. {{version.name}}

I'm presented with a Version name filter, but cannot figure out what to put in the Version name filter.   I'd like it to run for any versions >  1.*.  I'd appreciate any help with making this automation work. 

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

Hi @Amy Bass 

It sounds like you may be missing a piece of your rule to access the items associated to the version.  (Please post an image of your rule if I am missing something.)  This can happen when you have placed your action *outside* of the branch structure.

So, your rule might look something like this:

• Trigger: version released
  • Branch: for issues fixed in version
    • Condition: maybe add a condition if you need to limit the items transitioning.  For example, abandoned things, stuff already done, etc.
    • Action: Transition the issue to the status you want

Best regards,

Bill

Amy Bass July 8, 2020

@William Sheboy I agree that I may be missing a piece but I'm not sure what!  Here is a screenshot of what I've been able to configure.  I appreciate any wisdom you may have!Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.54.29 PM.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

Hi @Amy Bass 

I think something got bent/broken in the trigger; maybe some regex stuff was added in the options.  And your test condition appears after the action to perform the transition.

Not sure what is up, so I recommend deleting that rule and starting over.  Here is the example one I just created.  The only thing I didn't add was conditions you might want to include to limit the transition.  I tested it and it worked for me.

I recommend that you save as you add the pieces: add the trigger, save, add the branch, save, add the action, save, add the name and publish/save.

Test Version Released.JPG

Like # people like this
Amy Bass July 8, 2020

@Bill Sheboy Thank you!  Your advice helped and I was able to get my rule set up successfully!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2020

I am glad that helped you.  Please consider marking this question as answered so others can easily find the solution in the future.  Thanks!

Thomas Fortenberry September 18, 2020

I need help........  

How do I create an automation rule that if I am moving a status from Created to Backlog, I can require that certain fields have been completed, before it will allow the user to transition the issue to a new status?

Thank You

I found my answer... I need to use a validator on my workflows  :)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2020

Hi @Thomas Fortenberry 

That would be more of a workflow solution than an automation rule one.  Please search the community posts (or a browser search) for something like "require field before status change", and you may find a few approaches.

Best regards,

Bill

Like # people like this
Mignonne Yap May 1, 2023

@Bill Sheboy Hi, where can I find or how do I create the "For Issues fixed in version" step?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it after further digging. Thanks!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events