Automation Trigger to create a new Release Version

Jesse Berkeley January 13, 2021

Hi, 

Is there a way to trigger a new Release Version when i change the status of my release issue type? Can't figure out the best way to trigger this after my automatic creation of the Release issue type.

3 answers

1 accepted

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2023

Hello Everyone,

As this post still has a high number of views, we decided to add an updated answer with details on how to automatically create a new version in Jira Software Cloud.

As mentioned by @Jesse Berkeley, this feature can be achieved by using the action Create Version of Jira automation. These would be the steps:

1. Logged in to your Jira Cloud site, Navigate to any project you have
  2. select Project settings > Automation, and click to create a new automation rule (project related or global)
  3. Add the trigger and conditions you want and configure the action to create a new version, as in the example below:
    Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 3.55.06 PM.png

You can check the documentation below for more details about Jira automation and the "Create version" action:

Thanks!
Atlassian Support

2 votes
John Barton January 13, 2021

This should be possible with Jira Automation: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can create a trigger for "Issue Transitioned" and an action to release the version.

Jesse Berkeley January 15, 2021

Hi John, thanks however I'm not actually wanting to release the version I just want to create a version and have it available to then assign my cases to it.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Hi Jesse,

You cannot automate the creation of a new release in Jira Cloud without possible using the API. 

Jesse Berkeley January 15, 2021

Hey John thanks for the reply. This is the draft i have can you confirm therefore what would occur based on the flow below?

Jira Version Automation.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Ah! I stand corrected - this appears to be new. So have you tried that? 

Like # people like this
Jesse Berkeley January 18, 2021

I've not tried it yet but will do and I'll report on my findings :-)

Like John Funk likes this
Jesse Berkeley January 25, 2021

Hey @John Funk

The above flow did work eventually so thanks for your input!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events