Automation - How to create "manually triggered" tasks under an epic?

Deleted user June 17, 2022

Hi, 

I'm trying to create manually triggered tasks under one same epic.

I'm able to create a list of tasks with descriptions when manually triggered. The problem is, these are created individually in the board and are not attached to the epic I'm in when triggered.

My log is

- When manually triggered

- Issue type equals: Epic

- Then: create a new Task in Same Project as trigger

Please help :)

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user June 20, 2022

Hi Fabian and MW, 

That works!! thank you

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Hi @[deleted]

You need to update the epic link field when you create the tasks.

So for the Create new task, edit the epic link field and add the smart value {{triggerIssue.key}} which will add the key of the epic.

Cheers

MW June 17, 2022

Actually you need to select "Copy from trigger issue" value, you can't use smart values here:

Bez tytułu.png

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Thanks for the reminder.  I believe that epics don't have epic links since he is running the rule from the epic.

So what you need to do is use the advanced options then: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/advanced-field-editing-993924663.html

where you update the epic link field with the {{triggerIssue.key}}

I hope this helps.

Regards

MW June 17, 2022

Well, your point is right but somehow this works - this screen I posted is from my automation which is triggered on the epic level and it works - it creates a few tasks inside the epic

Like Fabian Lim likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events