Automation (Add comments to ticket when reply to jira email).

Calvin Westerveld April 1, 2021

Dear Community,

I'm stuck with a question i can't get an answer to.
I created a automation for comments that got created under the ticket. So i get a email from noreply@automationforjira.com but what i get when replying to it i get a email that i cant reply to it. And yes ofcourse i can't reply to a noreply.

Now my real question, how do i fix jira to send from a custom mail and allow reply's to it so when i reply to a automation email it adds a comment to the specified ticket.

I hope someone can help me,
Calvin Westerveld.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hi Calvin - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Click on the More options link under the email text box

Then place a valid email in the Reply To box. 

I know the From has noreply, but if you actually do a reply, it should put in the value in the Reply To box. 

Calvin Westerveld April 6, 2021

@John Funk 

Could you explain to me where i can find the More options link?

Calvin Westerveld April 6, 2021

Never mind i think i found it.

Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

Glad you found it!

Syed Rashid Mehmood February 7, 2022

@Calvin Westervelddid you ever get it working,
i have set the reply to address but still my customers send the email in reply and it is not landing int he comment section

Calvin Westerveld February 8, 2022

Yes i got it to work.

All your customers need to awnser to the original email for it to register it as a comment.

Like John Funk likes this
Sammy Mathewson August 17, 2022

Hi @Calvin Westerveld this might be a simple question, but... if someone creates a reply to the original notification email but doesn't send it straight away, and goes into their draft, does it still count as the original email? 

I've also got an issue where email replies don't always sync but it's sporadic and we haven't built up enough evidence yet to figure it all out so I'm just looking for all options. 

Calvin Westerveld August 17, 2022

I mean, as long as it's a draft, it doesn't count as sended.

And i don't understand what you mean. Could you explain it a bit more?

Like Sammy Mathewson likes this
Sammy Mathewson August 17, 2022

If someone had the email notification, they click reply. They don't finish typing/sending so it gets saved into their drafts. Times passes, they go back to it, finish typing then send it. Is the reply still a reply to the original email notification? (i want to say yes but i just need to check)

If they add another email into the recipient section of their email, is it still a reply to the original email, or does adding new recipients break the Jira connection?

Calvin Westerveld August 17, 2022

That's right! As long as the ticket haven't been deleted, it should.

Like Sammy Mathewson likes this
0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2022

Hi - to confirm is the rule action Send email here? What is the email address that you put in the Reply To field under the email text box? 

I would like to do similar but not sure I understand the full solution.

I.e. we send an email to Jira SD, ticket is created, Jira automation extracts an email address from the description, it sends and email to the person with a custom subject line.

Now how can we get the user to reply to that email (with a new subject line that is different to the issue summary because all issue summaries will be the same)

Please advise/assist?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events