Automatic Task from Email - Delay in Processing

Wahyu Nuryanto December 27, 2020

Hello, community

Currently, I am testing to create a task/issue automatically from email by setting up a mail handler like described here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/ 

But I am getting issues here where the time it takes for JIRA to process the email until it is shown in the JIRA Project is taking too much time, it takes up to 10 minutes at the moment. 

Do you have any idea how to speed this thing up? at least under 2-3 minutes is still acceptable

Thanks & Regards,

Wahyu N

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Wahyu Nuryanto

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When configuring a mail handler you can specify the delay between mail is fetched (for new mail is looked into the corresponding mailbox).

This is the relevant part the of the documentation:

Specify the delay in minutes between the mail handler's running time, or the frequency with which the mail server is scanned.

Can you confirm the value is set to a appropriate delay (2-3 minutes as you say)?

If this does not help there is still some probability the involved mail servers do not work that much as it would be needed.
In that case you could check with the mail administrators of involved servers.

Can you describe the whole chain of mail servers involved? I assume you send the mail from you PC and in the end there is a mailbox that Jira scans at the determined interval.
Are you in control of this server or is it a cloud offering? If you control the server you could check it's logfile for possible delays. If there is none visible I would start looking into Jira more deeply.

Regards,
Daniel

Wahyu Nuryanto December 28, 2020

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

Thanks for your reply, previously I was using Gmail Free, yesterday I tested it again using GSuite and it works nicely, the delay is minimal now I can say, less than 2 minutes. 

Regards,

Wahyu N

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events