Archiving an issue type?

Deborah Cross January 13, 2021

What is the best way to go about archiving an issue type from one project only?

The issue type is in use in 3 schemes/projects. I only want to get rid of it from one. 

When I try to remove it from the scheme I cannot because there are more than 1000 tickets using it. Those tickets are all closed and I don't really want to migrate them to the new issue type. 

Is there a way to archive the tickets and stop the issue type from appearing when users try to create a ticket? Jira Cloud doesn't have an archive function.

Do I create a new project called Archive and move them all in there?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Deborah Cross 

It is not possible to archive.

Issue type migration is one option. If you don't want it, you can create a new project and migrate them with same type.

ps: If issue type scheme is shared in 3 projects, you need to separate it by creating a new issue type scheme (removing the undesired one) and map to your project. 

Best

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

There is no "archive", if you remove an issue type from a project, you have to tell all the issues currently using it to become a different type.

So, yes, if you want to remove an issue type from a project without changing the issues that are of that type to another, you have to move them to another project that retains the issue type.

0 votes
Ivo Gonçalves October 12, 2022

Hi there,

Since I did not find acceptable to have to move into a new Jira project in order to evolve the project process and usage, I have created a request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-23312

Feel free to vote and provide feedback.

0 votes
Petri Paajanen January 19, 2021

Hi all!

I have need to archive closed cases in my project, but if it's not possible I have to find out an other solution. I'm pretty new with JIRA and may not understand all features right.

How would you resolve this: Our project is technical support for our customers who create a ticket/case when problem appears. When problem solved ticket's status will be changed to Done/Completed. Do I have any method to keep completed cases in storage in same project and sorting by e.g. type?

Thank you for your help in advanced.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

There is nothing to resolve here.

Just leave them in done/completed and with a resolution set.  You can ignore that status in most reports, queues and other places that only look at open issues, and still find them when you're activley looking for closed stuff.

0 votes
Deborah Cross January 14, 2021

Thank you both, migration here we come :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events