Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approver's notification from Service Desk not working

Gabriela Molitoriszova February 11, 2020

Hello, we are facing the problem that the approval process on the Service Desk is not sending a notification email for the approvers to approve/reject the issue. Approval required rule in Customer Notifications is enabled. The approval process is also set-up on the workflow status. This problem occurred after some time notifications were working properly. So we are not sure what is the root cause. Do you have any advice or experience with a similar problem? 

Jira version that we use is 8.5.3. and Service Desk version 4.5.3

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2020

Hello @Gabriela Molitoriszova

Thank you for reaching out.

To better troubleshoot the issue, could you please provide us with the steps you took to configure your approval process? Are the approvers selected by Agents or are you using a pre-selected list of Approvers?

Without further details, I suggest you check the following steps to properly troubleshoot why the issue approvers are not being notified when the issue reaches the approval status:

1 - Check if the approvers configured are able to access the issue, verifying your customer permissions under project settings and making sure the approver has the permissions to access the issue.

2 - Check if the field selected for Approval (Under project settings > Workflow) is the correct one where the approvers are being added to, in case they are manually added by the agents

3 - Under project settings > Workflow, manually create a post function to notify your approvers in the transition that moves the issue to the approval status, confirming if it works or not.

Additionally, please check the documentation below and confirm if you didn't miss any steps described to configure the approval:

Configuring Jira Service Desk approvals 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Gabriela Molitoriszova February 19, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves 

Thank you for your reply!

ad 1 - Yes approvers are able to access the issue - they only don't receive an automatic email from Jira Service Desk about pending approval. 

ad 2 - Checked and field is the correct one - this issue occurs on workflows when Approvers field is filled automatically and also the workflows when added manually by agents. 

ad 3 - Thank you for your advice - until we solve this with Atlassian Support we have manually created a post-function to generate an email and notify the approvers.

Just in addition - When I was trying to replicate the behaviour I was monitoring the Jira Mail queue and no email was created and I also checked the email activity in Sendgrid that we are using and the same behaviour - no email was sent from Jira and no occurred in any bounces, spam reports or blocked folders. Only approval emails are failing, other customer notification emails are working properly.

One more note - this happened after several months of approval notifications working properly and we are looking for the root-cause. 

So, for now, we used manually created post-function and we are communicating with Atlassian Support to find out where is the problem. Fingers crossed!

Thank you once again and if you have any other suggestion where to look, please let us know :)

Gabi

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Hello @Gabriela Molitoriszova,

I'm glad to know I was able to provide a workaround for your current issue and thank you for letting us know you opened a support ticket. 

Indeed, I must confess that I can not think about any other possible causes for the problem without accessing your site.

That being said, I've contacted my colleagues from Standard Support and confirmed you already received an answer from Soumya Shukla, who is currently investigating your issue.

We will definitely find the root cause of this issue and get back to you, just give us a few more hours to properly troubleshoot it. 

In the meantime, let us know in case you have any other questions. 

Vladimir Taranchenko June 5, 2020

Hello @Gabriela Fričová.

Did you get any answer from support?  I have the same problem now. We coulddn't find way to add approve/reject buttons in custom notification. So workaround cann't realise all functions of inbuild notification.

1 vote
Gabriela Molitoriszova September 10, 2020

@Vladimir Taranchenko @scott_boisvert 

The issue got fixed after updating on  8.10.1 - now everything works normally.

Steve Priole June 1, 2021

nope. Still not working

Jira Cloud

0 votes
Sue Webber September 29, 2021

Has there been any resolution to this?

I am having the same issue.

The trend I have seen is migration of mailboxes to O365 means that I need to add those approvers to the agents group in order to get the approval notifications to work.

0 votes
scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

@Gabriela Molitoriszova  Were you able to get this resolved. I'm running into the same issue where the approvers are not recieving the e-mail notification. I checked 1 & 2 per Petter's advice. I can do #3, but would prefer not to if there was a resolution.

Sue Webber May 9, 2023

I still do not have a resolution on this.

Some customers have to be added to agent license simply to get approval notifications.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events