API Tokens - is a user account and corresponding email address required?

Michele Franklin April 28, 2021

IWe need to create a "dummy" Jira Cloud user for one of our projects. It will be used to create api tokens which can be used in rest calls in the code.

Do we need to create a corresponding internal email account for this user so that we can send invitation in Jira to this email address and we can activate this user?

Or is there another way to do it?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Michele Franklin  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you need an email address for an account.  I have seen some community posts where people use a dummy/fake email address in this situation, but I would advise against that.  Without guessing how those email addresses will be used for log-in in the future, it seems like cheap insurance to create a real account that can receive emails from Atlassian.

Best regards,

Bill

Michele Franklin April 30, 2021

Thank you Bill!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Andreas Rudischhauser January 10, 2022

Real users for integrations are not really working out well. Real users (employees) come and go so you would have to reconfigure integrations that were made on behalf of that real user all the time. I also mentioned this to the documentation, that there is something missing regarding this. 

Like Alvin Schur likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events