An admin user cannot add a new issue type in a project

Louis Liew December 17, 2020

I want to add a new issue type for test cases import from Excel. I have admin access to my project in Jira but I don't find the Issue Type in the Project Settings, unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

I am raising this here is partly because the Atlassian service desk is too busy to answer queries which i urgently need to resolve.

12 answers

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

@Louis Liew  that's great. Please post the solution here so that other people also can take the help.

0 votes
Louis Liew December 20, 2020

Thanks Monika. I have got the issue resolved with the help of our Jira Admin person. 

0 votes
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Than unfortunately you cannot add an issue type. Only jira (not project) admins can do that in a classic project.

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

okay are you Jira Admin or Project Admin? What type of Admin access you have?

0 votes

I have shared a screen shot but it doesn't show up in my reply.

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2020

@Louis Liew  Yes, if you have Jira admin access, (not the Project Admin only) it means you have full access. Can you please share a screenshot with me of your project and your project permission schema too? If you can.

0 votes

No, I don't see 'Issue Type' under project setting though I have admin access. Kinda unusual as I thought Admin means I have full access to project settings.

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2020

@Louis Liew  are you able to see the action button in the top right corner when you click on issue type under project setting?

like this.

epic.png

OR you are not to able to see the 'Issue Type' under project setting?

If you are not able to see the issue type under the project setting then it is the permission issue please check it with you Jira admin.

Please let me know if it will help you.

0 votes

No, I don't have Jira settings access. I only have Jira Admin access to a classic project.

0 votes

Thanks Monika. It's a Classic Project.

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2020

Hi @Louis Liew ,

Are you using a next-gen project or classic project?

0 votes
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Hey @Louis Liew 

You can only add a new issue type in the JIRA Settings, not in a classic jira project. Do you have access to do that?

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer