planning to buy license for service desk already have license for jira software

sonam.kapur February 18, 2020

planning to buy license for service desk already have license for jira software for few users .

3 comments

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2020

@sonam.kapur Great! That is perfectly possible to do.

Do you also have a question about it ? :)

sonam.kapur February 19, 2020

Yes i do have a lot of questions it would be great if you can help me with it.
 We have 20 users working on jira software now i want them to continue working on jira software but with that i want to add three agents on service desk. Now if agents wants software developers to work on the tickets how they will assign tickets to them since they  will be having only license of jira software , how  software developer  will record their time since there is no SLA in jira software.
Please suggest what is the way to make developers and tech support people work on the same ticket and hence time they worked on it should be recorded so that performance can be judged on the basis of that.
I can't ask my company to buy all the new licenses for service desk for developers also since they have already jira software license but i want my team of tech support to work on service desk.
I hope you will understand my question and suggest me best solution so that my cost will also not increase and my work will go on smoothly .
Thanks
Sonam Kapur

IT Manager 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2020

Hi @sonam.kapur

The use case you have is not that uncommon. You often want developers (who normally would work in Software projects) to also be able to contribute to a Servicedesk ticket. 

For this Atlassian has actually created a specific role called the "Servicedesk Team role"

in the below documentation they are mentioned as Collaborators.

Collaborators in Jira Service Desk

Collaborators are not an official role, but you can bring in non-agents with an existing Jira license (i.e. Jira Software or Jira Core) to work internally with agents in Jira Service Desk projects because of the strong integration between Jira products. Simply add them to the Service Desk Team role in a project, and they can view issues, be @mentioned, and make internal comments without consuming an agent license.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-desk-evaluator-resources/jira-service-desk-agents-customers-and-roles

It does not mention specifically that you are also able to log work on the issues but you can give the Service Desk Team project role also on that permissions so at first glance that should not be an issue.

Like sonam.kapur likes this
sonam.kapur February 20, 2020

how developers can log time on the issues.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2020

@sonam.kapur ,

I mention that in the last paragraph. Time tracking is done with the Log work on issues permission.

You can add the Service Desk Team role on that and it should work.

More information you can find here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/log-time-on-an-issue/

It is not something I've tested myself but the documentation and the logic (and the fact that you can grant that role the permission) seems to indicate that is it possible

Like sonam.kapur likes this

Also can you suggest how to create agent wise reports to track their performance in terms of SLA and First response time.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2020

That should be possible with the build in Servicedesk reports.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/discover-new-trends-with-service-desk-reports/

You should also be able to create agent specific reports with a custom report.

e.g.

Get insight into an agent's performance per SLA

Line managers and other stakeholders may wish to view individual agent performance trends to help determine when agents are being stretched too thin or ensure work is being distributed appropriately.

Use the assignee field and make some reports for your agents to see how they are keeping up with their workload and where their strengths lie.

• Series = Time to first response % met
  • Label = Time to first response
  • Filter by (advanced) = assignee = agentUserName

• Series = Time to resolution % met
  • Label = Time to resolution
  • Filter by (advanced) = assignee = agentUserName

Awesome! Thanks for being so prompt...i will revert back with more questions as i am working on trial .

sonam.kapur February 27, 2020

HI THERE,

I would like to tell you that i am facing problem while adding permission for service desk role in project to provide permission to work log. 

Please guide me if i am doing wrong>

1. Jira settings>Issues> permission schemes> Demo Service desk project> Edit> Time Tracking Permissions >  Work on issues >project role> edit > Service desk team 

i want to give access to users of jira software to log their work hours in jira service desk tickets also i want they should be able to add any other jira software users.

Please help and guide by giving details options not by sharing link of document. because since morning i reading and trying to find out docs.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2020

@sonam.kapur , this is still a community support forum and no official support.

So sadly I don't always have the time to guide you through each option step by step and reading the documentation is a great way to teach yourself.

The steps you mention seem to be fine by me.

Saying that you say you are facing a problem adding the permission , what problem is that?

- A problem adding the permission?

- A problem loggin time when the permission is added?

- Something else?

You mention something new now as well (which could change your whole requirement)

"also i want they should be able to add any other jira software users." can you elaborate on that?

A clear description of your issue helps in providing clear answers.

sonam.kapur February 27, 2020

Okay ... After giving permission they are not able to log work hours that is the problem i am facing.

and my requirement is that jira software users working on the jira service desk ticket should be able to add more request participants 

Please help!

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2020

@sonam.kapur ,

Perhaps a bit obvious but just to be sure, did you add the users to the role as well next to granting the role permission on the project?

Adding Request Participants is something completly different. This imo is a ServiceDesk Agent specific permission so just being able to add non SD agents to this would be avoiding the entire license system.

Not sure how you can do that.

If you mean "logging work for others" that another permission tho so you could try that.

If this doesn't help you I think you'll be best of contacting support directly to see whether it is a limitation to the role. 

https://support.atlassian.com/

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events