Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways a Service Desk Customer can get added?

Robert Werner January 4, 2018

This is going to sound like a strange question but how can an outside user get added as a registered Service Desk Customer in Jira Service Desk?

I'm asking because neither me, nor apparently any of my colleagues, setup a particular customer as a user, yet somehow this person used our [still being developed] system to submit a request to us.

We don't want to ask him how he did this because it would make us look foolish but it is indeed a real mystery.

So what are the ways a person could get added as a Jira Service Desk customer?

Robert

1 answer

1 vote
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Hello Robert,

it is indeed possible for customers to create accounts for themselves. Please take a look at:

You probably have project-level restriction set to Anyone and global account self-creation allowed.

Regards,
Martin

Robert Werner January 4, 2018

Hi Martin,

Your supposition is what I initially thought too but when I looked at Customer permissions, here's what I found:

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 4.24.51 PM.pngAnd in Global Permissions we have them just as tightly locked down.

Here's what we now think must have happened, though this is purely a theory at this point:

Our customer also uses Jira Service Desk.  When our contact there e-mailed me and another user, somehow within the Atlassian infrastructure, it saw that my e-mail address was registered as the custom contact one with our instance of Jira Service Desk.  As such, it then added:
 - Our customer (the corporate entity)
 - Our contact (an individual with an e-mail address)

as Jira Service Desk customers within our JSD project.

I know this sounds incredible but it's our only possible explanation for how this phenomenon occurred.

Robert

MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Well, I agree with you that what happened to you is really weird. I can't think of any explanation (and can't say if your is truly doable). Maybe someone will know. Looking forward to other answers.

Martin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events