Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set required field per screen

Tin Le Van August 3, 2014

Hi Jira Support,

I created a custom field called "Answer" and set it required. When I created a new issue, an error message saying that "Answer is required" has been popup, althrough I did not set field "Answer" to the create issue screen.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how can we create a required field for a particular screen.

Best regards,

Tin,

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2014

You don't.

Mandatory fields are done in two ways.

First, off-the-shelf, Jira does only one type of mandatory flag, and it's in the "field configuration". This sets the field as mandatory or optional for the whole lifecycle of the issue. If you set a field mandatory here, you *must* put the field on the "create" screen

Secondly, Jira has "validators" that you use in a workflow. These check the users input as the issue moves through the workflow, preventing change if certain criteria are not met. There are several addons which give you validators like "make sure field X is filled in"

So, you don't make a field mandatory on a screen. You do it on the workflow.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2014

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events