Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request type specific to a customer or organisation

Rinju Mukherjee December 4, 2017

Dear Expert, 

We want to integrate one of our service providers in the support process. Unfortunately they do not have any support tool. So we want to use JIRA Service Desk for that purpose. We are planning to model them as a 'customer' (or 'customer organisation'). So we will create the incident on behalf of them. Since it will be visible on the customer portal, they will then provide their answers on the customer portal. In general this workaround looks ok but we are facing one challenge. Since for this type of incident, we do not want to include in our regular incident reporting, we want to use a special 'Request Type'. However, this request type will be visible to all of our customers as well. We want to enable this request type only for this customer (or organisation), so that it will not be visible to our other customers. 

Is it possible to configure request type, which is visible only to a specific customer?

Or is there a better way to achieve the above mentioned use case?

Thanks

Rinju

4 answers

2 votes
Kristian Thim April 3, 2019

This should honestly be standard functionality in any service desk. It's crazy that you have to create a service desk for each type of contract you make for a customer. Why not allow scoping of visibility of a request type based on organization, it seems like such a low effort function to implement.

Same goes for SLA.. Why can I not define different SLA's for each organization... it's usually how it works in the world.. different customers, different agreements... (I know I can filter it, but thats a ridiculous amount of maintenance work required. I don't want to have to do "scripting" every time I get a new customer. 

1 vote
H K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

Hey,

I am no expert but I hope I can help you, too ;)

Request types cannot be restricted to a specific customer or organization. They can only be restricted to different projects. If you want to have a request type only visible for a specific customer or organization, you have to create a new project, add your customers ("project settings" > "users and roles") and organization to it and also add the new request type to the project ("administration" > "issues" > "issue type schemes").

In this project you also need to change the customer permission "Who can raise requests?" to "Customers who are added to the project" ("project settings" > "customer permissions"). This setting enables only your priviously added customers to see the project and its related request types.

Rinju Mukherjee December 5, 2017

Hello Heike,

Thanks for your reply. However creating a new project is not an option for us. Even from the administration point of view I feel a lot of effort is required.

Instead I found a workaround, which is so far working. I created a special 'Request Type' and hide it from the customer portal. I created an automation rule that whenever an incident is created for this particular organization, it will change the 'Request Type' to the special one, which I created.

Thanks

Rinju

0 votes
Mike Harvey May 23, 2020

Agreed on point of issue types and SLAs for sure. As a recent adopter of Service Desk, I have to say I'm shocked that this isn't base functionality for all 3 platforms (cloud - which I am on, server, and DC). 

What is the point of Organizations if you cant create/filter issue types? Or have SLAs for specific client? Having separate projects as a workaround for this is hammer-type workaround that increases administration and support complexity.

This is a huge gap in functionality, and something Jira Service Desk competitors do out of the box. Should be at the top of the roadmap if you are serious. 

0 votes
borjaromero June 18, 2019

Please implement this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events