Only Service Desk Agents can progress tickets????

Eduardo Marques December 16, 2014

I'm currently testing JIRA Service Desk v2.1.1 (JSD) to see how it works the agent licence model and this is my configuration:

• Project A has JSD enabled
  • Project A is not using a JSD permissions scheme
  • Workflows used don't have any JSD user condition
  • Group A has all the permissions in the enabled permissions scheme
  • User A is member of the Group A plus member of the JIRA Administrators group (and role) but not a JSD Agent
  • User B is member of the Service Desk Agents group and a JSD Agent but not an JSD Administrator
  • Customer Portal and JSD Request creation are disabled (modules)

With this configuration in mind, how is it possible that user A cannot progress/perform any worflow transition and user B can? All this is done in the normal JIRA interface as the customer portal is disabled.

We just want to use the JSD plugin for the SLAs and nothing else. JIRA interface with JSD SLAs running in the background.

Thank you for your replies

5 answers

0 votes
Brandon Bowersox-Johnson December 17, 2014

I agree with Eduardo that the added user role limits in JSD 2.x don't entirely make sense.

Personally, I believe that JIRA-users (Service Desk Collaborators) should be able to edit issues and be an assignable user. I understand that without an Agent license a collaborator will not be able to use other special features of Service Desk – view/manage SLAs, Service Desk queues, or use the Customer Portal. But they should still be able to use the basic JIRA features.

You can read more and consider voting on this issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-931

0 votes
Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Eduardo, please refer to this page that explains the 3 roles in use in JSD 2.x - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/Setting+up+JIRA+Service+Desk+users. It will list the differences between Agents and Collaborators (who are other JIRA users that can be leveraged to review and provide comments / guidance on tickets, but who correctly cannot transition them). 

Please also refer to this blog entry for details (the why) regarding the JSD 2.x pricing model and collaborator reasoning. http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/09/introducing-jira-service-desk-2-0/

0 votes
Eduardo Marques December 17, 2014

Dear Geert Graat,

I already used VertygoSLA and that's why I have to migrate to JSD. Currently I have an instance using a trial of JSD version 1.2.7 and it's being used for SLAs only. The problem is that if I want to buy the plugin, I'm forced to install version 2.x (only version commercially available) and this version seems to turn Service Desk Agents into the only users that transition tickets. This doesn't make sense. The developers are not part of the Service Desk but they still need to be a Service Desk Agent to progress a ticket when a change is implemented in the software. The reporter is not part of the Service Desk and still needs to be a Service Desk Agent to close a ticket (for example).

Best regards,

Eduardo

0 votes
Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Eduardo, please reference the selected answer in the linked question for a succinct summary of the 3 roles Geert mentions: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5702534

Only Agents may work on issues where a project is using JIRA Service Desk - this is the trade-off allowing a separate licensing and pricing structure that doesn't have to match your JIRA user license tier. You can find more regarding the decision and pricing in this blog entry - http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/09/introducing-jira-service-desk-2-0/

Additional reference:

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2014

Hi,

You cannot use Service Desk for just the SLAs. Once you have enabled Service Desk for a project, it uses the agent/collaborator/customer roles. In your case, that means that user A is a collaborator and therefore can only comment/attach files. User B is an agent and can do the usual.

For what it is worth: the plugin that Service Desk is based on, VertygoSLA, was what you needed, but unfortunately that is not available anymore. Having said that: we used VertygoSLA and have gone through some trouble adapting to Service Desk, but now we quite like it and use the extra functionality it provides on top of VertygoSLA.

Regards,

Geert

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events