Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Transition: "You don't have permission to transition this issue"

Jason Sweet May 13, 2020

Annotation 2020-05-13 121838.png

Any of you guys experienced this?  Mind you that I am the Site/Org admin so it can't really be a permission problem, can it?

• The issue type workflow doesn't even have "Waiting for support."
  • I tried changing the request type but because the underlying issue type doesn't change, this didn't work.
  • I tried bulk change > transition but received permission error.

I submitted a support ticket but thought I'd pick the community minds as well.

Thanks for any feedback.1

22 answers

17 votes
Perry Biava October 3, 2020

Fix this now. There are many perfectly good applications that can replace Jira. The problems I am experiencing are the same as the other people above.

PHC Admin November 17, 2023

Atlassian has become a bloated mess of a company. It shows in their bloated mess of a product.

4 votes
Rubén Trujillo Fernández June 24, 2020

Sames issue here, I'm the global site admin and I can't move an issue in a custom status to Closed. This issue has been open for a month now, any progress on resolution or info about workarounds?

Edit: I've found what for me is a workaround: I copied the workflow, the new inactive workflow I could edit it freely, adding all the transitions I wanted, the disassociate the old workflow and associate the new one, allowing me to transition my issues properly.

4 votes
Pavel Adamovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2020

Hi @Jason Sweet 

To be able to transition issues in Jira Service Desk you need an additional Agent permission (license). Standart Jira Software user license is not enough.

Go to Administration - users - find yourself and check if you have Jira Service Desk License

Also check project permission scheme if you have service desk agent permission1.png

Carolynn Kemmerer May 14, 2020

We are having the same issue.  NOTHING has been changed in the workflow.  The only difference is that the update to the interface by Atlassian has been done... did that screw up the workflows or permissions?

Jason Sweet May 15, 2020

Carolynn, what type of project for you?  I'm having a problem with ITSM project so that may be part of it.

Randdy Feliz September 15, 2020

I'm having the same problem, seems to be a global problem.

Serhii Povísenko February 16, 2021

helped!!!!!!

Serhii Povísenko February 16, 2021

go to User management global settings and for your user enable Jira Service Management productScreenshot 2021-02-16 at 10.40.34.png

ctexeira November 11, 2021

I am having the same problem in the Content Management Workflow type project.  I have tried everything suggested and more, but I must be missing something.  Any new ideas?

george kaz December 9, 2022

Yeah nice. Feed the cash cow. $15 a month per user to allow to transition on top of the $10 a month for Jira license.

1 vote
PHC Admin November 17, 2023

What's ridiculous is here we are a bunch of paying users scratching our heads asking each other for help and Atlassian just charges our credit cards every month and does absolute jack in terms of customer support.

1 vote
Joe Massi July 9, 2021

The issue for me was that I didn't have any outgoing transition that WERE NOT associated with the approval process. When my only transitions were married to approve or deny, I got this error. However, when I added a second outgoing transition that was not related to an approval, it worked perfectly fine.

Rob Meireles September 9, 2022

Thank you. This resolved my issue. I had no outgoing transition.

Recommendation: Edit your workflow, after "Done", add a transition to where it should go… and the error will go away.

0 votes
Alex Kostin January 16, 2024

I am having exact same issue, what happened to Jira. recently become buggy and very slow. Please fix the issue !

0 votes
Jan Delong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 15, 2024

We have the same issue. Nothing has changed in the workflow or any other settings. We have upgraded JIRA to the newest version and now users can't transition issues.

We use the same WF and user permission in 20+ different projects and only one has the problem.

What is going on? Can someone from Atlassian help?

image (1).png

0 votes
John Datuin October 8, 2023

There is such a thing 'Service Desk project roles'. I added my team mate to this role and it worked. Go to Service Desk Project Settings > People. Add your user/team mate as Service Desk Team.

0 votes
Ciara September 22, 2022

Have you sourced what workflow the project is set to? Perhaps it's been deleted? 

0 votes
Lorenzo November 18, 2021

halo ? anyone from atlassian ? please

I want be able to do what i want being the main admin please

really thanks

LP

0 votes
Kannan Natesan July 6, 2021

Hi,

I had the same issue, and got it resolved. My case was different.

I had a condition enabled on my transition, which checked if the flow had been through a specific state before. The workflow forbid anyone from transitioning out of this state, as I had gone ahead and made some cosmetic changes to my state name( I added spaces). Apparently the condition function does a text comparison on the state name, and does not take into account any changes to the name of the state after the condition was created.

Hope this helps someone.

0 votes
Felix Jorge May 7, 2021

Having the same issue, I submitted a ticket. None of the workarounds seem to work. 

0 votes
Rafael Corrêa Gomes February 22, 2021

I solved it by setting in my global configurations a default workflow template to all the projects, or you can go to the project configuration select a workflow, edit it and publish it.

0 votes
Erik Vanderstraeten July 14, 2020

Same here.  Also in a project from the new ITSM template.

(trying to edit the resolution for a group of tickets; seems a hassle to get this done :( )

Erik Vanderstraeten July 14, 2020

My case is solved after creating a new workflow in order to have a next transition after 'Closed'.  (needed this in order to correct the Resolution of our Closed tickets after a wrong configuration - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html)

Like Tafara Mugwangi likes this
Tafara Mugwangi April 16, 2021

This worked for me too, my issue stemmed from users moving tickets out of Dne but there was no post function to clear the Resolution field so tickets became stuck. 

Thanks @Erik Vanderstraeten 

Like Erik Vanderstraeten likes this
0 votes
arvinds July 11, 2020

Facing the same problem for two projects alone. But they share the same workflow and workflow scheme as like other 

0 votes
Mad Jax June 5, 2020

Wow, me too. I thought I was going crazy. The global Bulk Edit, I thought covered Transition permissions. But clearly not since we're all finding this issue all at once. Crazy.

0 votes
Admin June 5, 2020

I am having this same issue on very old issue in a very old project. I am also the Org/Site Admin but not assigned to the ticket we cannot resolve. Assignee cannot resolve either.

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2020

@Jason Sweet has open a ticket, may be he can share the link to this ticket and you will be able to vote and track this issue.

Julia Hofmann June 5, 2020

That would be great. Looking for an answer to this as well!

Carolynn Kemmerer July 13, 2020

@Mohamed Benziane  what would we have to vote for?  Clearly there is an issue that needs to be resolved.  Has anything been done to correct this issue?

0 votes
Mads Frost June 2, 2020

I have also experienced this issue, have tried all sorts of settings, but nothings works..

0 votes
Marco de Waard May 18, 2020

We've got the same issue on some older classic projects. 

0 votes
Jason Sweet May 15, 2020

Thanks all for the recommendations and advice but nothing has worked. I have a ticket open and will post the results with any information that is useful.  

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

Can you make sure that you have the transition permission in this project ? Look for any condition/validator in the workflow. 

Even if you are site admin you need to have project permission to be able to see/edit/move/transition...

Carolynn Kemmerer June 2, 2020

Yes I have permissions.  They have not changed.  Can you please address this issue?  I see I am not the only one having this issue.

Thank you

Marc LeBlanc June 25, 2020

I have this issue as well. 

I'm the site administrator, I have the Transition Issue permission on the project. There are no validators on the transitions and all the links are correct.

When I go to any issue in this project, I get the dialog shown above. I'm also managing two other projects under the same account that don't have this issue. Although the two other projects have different issue types.

Matt Williams September 1, 2020

I am also getting this issue on several issues that are in the identical workflow (no validators, I am global admin) as ones that I could transition.

Kevin Black August 24, 2023

Same for me. This issue type is not new and the transition is not new nor is the workflow, in fact years old. Suddenly I (site admin) no longer have permission to approve the issue. This is the workflow that I've been using for years and now it doesn't work, what is going on?

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events