Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer to transition tickets in Issue View

Albert Marti November 13, 2023

Hi all,

In Jira Service Desk, my Customers can transition issues from the Portal. However, they are unable to do so when they go to the issue view.

My org uses Jira both for Service Management and for Projects, so a lot of my users prefer to use Jira from the issue view and not from the portal. Is there any way in which I can do so? I have enabled transitions for role "Service Desk Customer" and made sure that the transitions I want them to perform are enabled for them. However, they just see a message saying they don't have the permission to see or perform that transition.

Is it a feature that Customers can only transition in the portal but not in the issue view? If so, why???

2 answers

1 vote
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

Hi @Albert Marti 

As @Muhammad Moazzam Hassan explains, non licensed JSM users (customers) have no access to the Service project view.

Yes it's a provided feature as it provides the option to have non-licensed users able to use your portal.

Hi Marc, thanks  lot for your answer.

Non-licensed users have the possibility of seeing their own tickets in both Portal view and Issue view, and they can transition issues in Portal view and not in Issue view.
I understand you're saying this is the way it is, but it makes no sense to me at all.

If they are able to transition their own issue in the Portal view, why wouldn't they be able to transition that same issue in the Issue view, particularly if they can see the Issue view of that same issue?

Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

Hi @Albert Marti 

Based on the workflow related to the issue types on the JSM project, you allow customers to transition, based on the setting to make a WF transition available.

On issue view, back-end related, this is only available if you also have Jira Software (if you JSW) to participate on JSM issues.

See this table on what a licensed user can see on JSM

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 13.45.25.png

So based on your request, your user are not just "customers", but users with a license on a related Jira product.

Customers can only transition on the portal on transitions made available on the portal in the workflow

Still to transition on the issue vie a JSM license is required.

0 votes
Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2023

Yes, because the Customer is a free user who have some limited features, you want to give them product access, and then they can transition the issue from Jira Issue View.

Hi Muhammad, thanks a lot for your answer.
I understand you mean it's configured this way, but of course we won't get JSD licenses for 3000 people only so that they can transition their own issues.

In my opinion, if they are able to see their own issues both through the Portal and through the Issue views, then they should be able to transition those issues both through the Portal and the Issue views, not only through the Portal.

Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2023

If this thing can happen then there is no need for a licence for the agent as well :-D

Of course there would be a need for agent licenses. Customers wouldn't be able to be assigned, or edit, or view the queues, or reassign issues, or link them, or move them, schedule, set security, manage watchers, edit worklogs, work on issues, be measured against SLAs...

Transitioning tickets in the Issue View is far from the only thing that separates an Agent permission level from a Customer permission level.

I don't know if I'm asking for the moon here, but I see the fact that, if Customers can view their own issues both in Portal and in Issue views they should be able to transition them in both places and not only the Portal, as a no-brainer.

Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2023

Yes, you are right.

There is limited functionality for the unpaid customers. You can contact Atlassian Support and suggest that feature.

Like Albert Marti likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events