Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I update issue status using /status in comment

George Neshev April 18, 2024

Is it possible to automatically update the issue status when writing and posting an internal comment, using the /status function?

If not, any suggestions on how to approach?

Screenshot 2024-04-18 153907.png

3 answers

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

@George Neshev -

I agreed with what @John Funk stated to use automation rule to move the issue status when comment is posted route.

Question for you.  When one adds comments in the project UI on the issue in question, he/she can simply change the issue status.  If you want to have he/she to always enters comments for their action, then you can also customize your WF for the issue transition to include a pop-up window and a validator to make "comment is required".   Therefore, the issue cannot be transition unless there is a comment entered.

This way, one don't have to explicitly to go to the comment section of the issue to enter his/her comments.

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

Hi George,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What is the use case? 

YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

To resolve unlicensed agent to update JSM tickets' status?

Improved efficiency. I find myself duplicating work by having to note the /status in the comment and then change the status on the mainticket too.

Was wondering if it's possible for JIRA to detect the status in the latest comment and update main status.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

Still not following you. Can you lay it out step by step? When I do this, I want this to happen? 

Step 1: Post a comment with /status functionScreenshot 2024-04-18 160434.png

Current outcome: Nothing, comment posts as expected.

Desired outcome: Task status automatically updates from 'In Progress' to 'Waiting for customer'

Screenshot 2024-04-18 160610.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

Okay, I think I am getting there.  :-)

Take a look at this article. It's more than you need, but check out the part with the automation rule where it sniffs for a comment being added with specific text and then does an auto transition. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/JSM-Approvals-by-Email-with-a-work-around/ba-p/1696674#M699

Like George Neshev likes this

Could you send an example of the automation please? Showing the configuration for the comment in particular?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2024

It's in the article I linked above. 

0 votes
YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

Hi @George Neshev 

Welcome to our Community.

The text /status has no relation to the workflow status. I think we should go to status switch button to implement it.

Thanks,

YY哥

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events