Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Jira error "You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)"

Kimi Nakashima August 13, 2020

I created an automation that creates a new issue in my OS project when a media issue is transitioned to "In Use" in the DT project. It worked great, but I had a workflow issue in the DT project and since I didn't want to create a bunch of new issues in the OS project while I worked it out, I disabled the automation rule. Once I fixed my workflow issue, I turned the automation back on to test the entire process and now it no longer works.

The error that I got is "You must specify a summary of the issue. (summary)". I checked my automation and the create action has the summary field as one of the fields to set and the set value is filled in. Next I checked my screens to make sure that summary is on the create screen for the issue type and it is (it's also on the edit screen for that issue). I even checked that it's on the create and edit screen for the media issue(again yes). 

I'm not sure where else to fix this problem?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kimi Nakashima October 8, 2020

I just realized that I never posted the resolution to my problem. It turns out that even though the error message indicated that I had a problem with the summary field, it was actually a different custom field that was causing the issue.  Apparently even though the error was caused by a different field, the error message complains about the summary field because it's the first field to be displayed. 

They told me that the developers are aware of the error message not being helpful and are working to fix it, but in the meantime my suggestion for anyone else who sees this error is to check the custom fields that you're trying to edit especially if you are editing them with JSON in the "More options" section. Make sure that the fields you're trying to edit and any options are spelled correctly!

In my case, the custom field that I was using was renamed and I didn't change it in the automation. And the reason my other similar rule which had the same mistake but didn't throw an error still worked was because of the plugin cache. If I had disabled and re-enabled it, both rules would have broken.

0 votes
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Hello,

Is it possible to show is a screendump of the automation rule, the part of the create? And also of the error?

thanks.

Regards, Marco

Kimi Nakashima August 14, 2020

@Marco Brundel Here is the what I have set up in my automation rule:

Automation4Jira_Summary_Error_rule.png

And here is the error:

Automation4Jira_Summary_Error.png

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2020

The setup looks good. I also do not now where else to fix this problem. Have you tried populating the summary by "Copy from" to see if that works?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events