Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-Register for Jira Service Desk but require approval from an Agent?

Nathan Given June 6, 2019

I don't mind having my users self-register for my service desk, but I wanted to "approve" the registration before they are able to open requests.

Is there any way to do that?  How can I find people that have registered but haven't been given access yet?

Detaisl:

Here's what I'm working with:

I have two Jira service desk projects running in my same instance. 

One project is for external facing customers and I was trying to configure it to allow people to self-register _and_ create issues without any approval.  Thus the permissions are configured to be open.

The other project is for my internal employees.  I definitely don't want people to self-register for this project, so I configured the permissions such that I have to invite "customers" to this project.

The problem is that my internal employees can see the external customers' project.  I don't want this.

I can't figure out how to limit my internal employees to only see the project they are supposed to see as long as I have the loose permissions on the external customers project.

So I thought maybe if I could tighten the restrictions on the external customers project that might be okay, except I still want my external customers to be able to self-register and then I'd just auto-approve all the registrations. (I'd actually write something against the API to do this, I was hoping).

But, I can't get this to work, customers can self register, but then they are blocked by this screen:

As a service desk admin I've searched and searched to find the external customers that are stuck in this black-hole of "I've registered but I can't create requests yet".  But I can't find these accounts anywhere.  They don't seem to show up as customers or users anywhere in Jira.

How can I get this to work?  Do I have to spin up a completely separate pre-registration page where users type in their email address, then I use the Jira Service Desk API to create the appropriate accounts for them?  I'd rather try to use OOTB functionality instead of building tools outside of Jira to help me manage Jira.

Thank you~!

Nathan

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2019

Hi Nathan,

Currently, it's not possible for an account to be on the pending status for an agent or admin to approve.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-790
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-790
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regarding the agents to see the project to create tickets, it happens because when you select the option "Anyone can send a request" on customer permission, it will allow anyone inside and outside (after creating the account) to see the project.
To restrict the projects, the only option would be set "Customers my team adds to the project", so only those who admins and agents manually add on the project will see the project in the portal.

Now, related to the screenshot, customer will see this page if they were not added to the project.
So, if you set the customer permission "Customers my team adds to the project" and set "Can customers create their own accounts?" to "Yes", they will be able to create the account, but won't see any option to open a ticket.

When the customer creates their own account, it will appear on Administration > Jira Service Desk, but it's not possible to filter by "Created".

For now, there is no workaround for those permissions. If the project is open, customers and users will see, if the project is closed, customers and agents will have to be added manually in the project.

Regards,
Angélica

Nathan Given June 7, 2019

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events