Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Service Desk - Creating several core-IT teams with specific Queues ???

Papagiannopoulos_Georgios December 5, 2017

Good morning, 

I'm a new user and I’m evaluating JIRA ServiceDesk without any previous experience on JIRA, I’ve spent some time in the past month reading JIRA manuals and watching training videos on the web but I still have some questions that I need some help.

I’ve already created a project and work on it for test, but I need to change settings because as JIRA works at the time is not covering exactly our needs.

I need some guidance on best practices on how exactly I should build the configuration for our team.

We have 2 teams, the 1st team of 10 members for a specific major Application support (and only interacts with CoreIT only for a few issues)  and a 2nd for the Core-IT team with 15 members which lets say are 5-Helpdesk, 5-SYSAdmins, 1 Project manager, 2 DB Admins, 2 Network Admins.

I can understand that I could create several Queues, one for every team, but this could be difficult for setting the JQL queries to have too many entries.

Is it somehow possible to automatically be directed to a specific Queue or whatever for every type of Request I create in the customer portal???

In our old Servicedesk application (HPSM) we had created only 5 teams with its members inside, a user could create a request and if for example I was for a software installation request it was auto directed to the Helpdesk team, if a member of Helpdesk team choose to solve it, but needed an escalation, he could escalate this issue to the network team for example without assigning it to specific person.

Should I setup 1 project with all of us in it? How should I set the sub teams, as components for example and then ho to set the issues auto directed to them.

Should I create 1 project for each Subteam and then hope (then I could probably have problem with how the customer portal looks like)

Am I missing something???

I currently have them all in the same project but cannot separate the type of issues to be auto directed to these teams.

I havn’t found yet a video of what the idea I need to setup, usually there a specific flow, one bucket of issues  for everything and everyone and they use a 1st level support agent who assigns the issues to different people…. This is not what we want to do.

Any help? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

@Papagiannopoulos_Georgios,

there is a lot here to consume but let’s see if I can help. 

First it sounds like you may want two projects for the two major team functions. It isn't required to have two projects but it seems to make sense in your case. To be sure let’s dig in a bit here. If any of the below are true then a separate project is likely best. 

1. your major application team will receive issues from customers directly rather than from the core IT team
  2. the workflows between the two teams are likely be different
  3. the frequency of issues moving between the two major teams is small

Second, and maybe I should have asked this first, who will be raising issues for each team. Will the same customer base be raising issues? Given what you have written I wonder if the major application would be better served by JSW rather than JSD. I can’t say for sure based upon the info provided. 

Finally let’s discuss queues and routing to appropriate teams. IMO, I would indeed setup queues for each of the core-IT teams. The queues can be defined using customer request types that you define and expose via the portal. Now with this said the likelihood that your customers will get it right and the fact that you likely will have issues coming in via email means you need a “triage” queue to set the appropriate  customer request type so it will fall into the proper queue. 

I hope this helps. This is a topic that is better served by a discussion with Q&A to be honest. 

Papagiannopoulos_Georgios December 5, 2017

Hello,

i do not have a problem having them split in 2 or 3 projects or all of them in 1, i could treat the major application team just as the helpdesk team, that's not the problem, so i believe Jira software is not required, as they only get tickets for example, for reseting app password, creating app accounts, troubleshooting the app in the Application level, when they come to the hardware/operating system level problems they escalate to us the CoreIT.

1.  Could be from both, majorly from direct emailing or customer portal specific request types (wich could be in the same tree with every other hardware/software matter of the CoreIT prefferably.)

2. Not that possible, but could be some simpler, i could build some workflows as i already did for light Project Management adding Risk and other types as i was requested.

3. is small yes.

Raising tickets will be available

That's not what i'm concerned that much, by biggest issue is how to set our CoreIT different teams, Sysadmins, Netadmins, Helpdesk, etc. 

i'm not officially trained, what i've learned is self paced and only in the last month, i tried to treat the sub teams as Components of the Project but i think that was a wrong approach, i didn't manage to figure it out. 

For now i have created several Project Roles in the Administration site (1 for each of the 6-7 subteams) that correspond to Security Groups in AD and JIRA user management but i haven't manage to use them somehow for any kind of triage queue.

Requests will also be comming from portal and by emails (i have already set 1 email adress but i could set more if needed with mail handlers), i've even set and tested the Add-on for Outlook Integration for JIRA, it's working great 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events