Sprints renamed automatically after creating sprint in another project

monica.dhiman December 3, 2019

I created a sprint for a project and it copied its name in another project, although the issues assigned did not change. its only the sprint name which is getting copied.

I tried and created a new sprint 'sprint 1' in project 1, moved all issues into it and deleted previous sprint but then it renamed the ongoing sprint in Project 2 as 'Sprint 1' although it was named something else. 

Is there any solution for this? It seems like a bug in Jira

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

Hello Monica,

Thank you for reaching.

Per your description, I believe your current scenario is that you are using the same Sprint for both projects 1 and 2, so when you rename it, it naturally displays your change in both project boards. Please, allow me to further explain:

Sprints are not related to specific projects or boards, but to the issues that they belong to, although they could return different issues in each boards they are since they respect the board filter. In fact, if your board filter returns at least a single issue with the sprint of a different board, the sprint will appear on both boards.

That being said, the following scenarios can cause your Sprint to be displayed in a different project unexpectedly:

1 - Someone moved an issue from project 1 to project 2 without removing it from the Sprint created in Project 1. This behavior is the most common cause of this problem and is documented in the article below:

The same sprint is displayed across different scrum boards after moving an issue

2 - Any actions that can add the issues returned at project board 2 with the Sprint of the project 1

To properly confirm if this is the issue you are facing and stop the Sprint from being displayed in Project 2, you just need to do the following:

- Navigate to your board in project 2 > Board settings > General > Copy the board filter

- In your issue navigator, run a JQL search using your board filter + the Sprint of project 1, so you will have the list of issues that are causing the "problem"

- Remove the Sprint from the issues manually or using the bulk operation feature

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer