Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow is not considered in new view

Rebecca Graf February 4, 2024

Hey all,

when I create a new view based on the column "status" my defined workflow is not considered properly.

I's defined as New - Idea Backlog - In Concept - Waiting - Prioritized - Discovery - Execution - Done but the board shows it in a complete different order.

I even added transitions from one state to another as I was wondering, if that might be the issue but it's still not working.

Any ideas how to get that solved? I don't want to sort the workflow status manually for every board created.

Best

Rebecca

3 comments

Mart Postma February 4, 2024

Hi @Rebecca Graf - could you post some screenshots with examples of the issue you are encountering? I tried to replicate your issue from what I understand in your message, and I am able to move the columns in a board view horizontally to another position (grouped by status). Did you try that already?

Rebecca Graf February 5, 2024

Hi @Mart Postma ,

of course. Here's one example how the board looks like out of the box when creating a new one. 

Image 05.02.24 at 09.06.jpeg

The workflow is defined as follows:

Image 05.02.24 at 09.06 (1).jpeg

(sorry for the bad screenshot, it doesn't seem to be possible to send the transitions to the back). 

It is possible to move the columns on the board manually, but that's what I would like to avoid. When creating a new board the workflow should be created as defined in the project settings (and as I am used to it in Jira Software as well).

Any ideas?

Best

Rebecca

Mart Postma February 5, 2024

Thanks for the screenshots and context @Rebecca Graf

If you check the API call made in the browser when you select "Column -> Status", you can see that Jira does not take the order defined in your workflow into account.

Every status is saved with an ID and with a Status Category ID ("To Do" (grey statuses), "In Progress" (blue statuses), "Done" (green statuses)). 

When creating the view, Jira first automatically sets the order of the columns according to these Status Categories, and then orders them by ID (value is created when you created your status).

Most likely, you will have not created these statuses in the exact same order as you'd like them to be ordered by by default. That's why it does not follow your exact workflow order, as you expected it to do.

So if this is a big deal to you, the only possibility would be to recreate the workflow (maybe in another JPD project) and create the statuses in the correct order. Otherwise you'd have to move the columns around on the board view manually.

Hope that's clear! Good luck implementing :)

Adrian_Lester February 5, 2024

Hi Rebecca,

I've a similar view to yourself and it seems to me the board's order reflects the order the values are listed in the status column.  When you edit the status field are the values listed in the order you want?  Tweaking that worked for me.

Rebecca Graf February 5, 2024

Hi @Adrian_Lester ,

thanks for the hint, but I don't get how to edit the status field. I am only able to adjust the workflow but there is no "order" available in the edit mode for the field: Image 05.02.24 at 16.48.jpeg

Could you share a screenshot how you did that? 

Best

Rebecca

Adrian_Lester February 6, 2024

@Rebecca Graf  I don't seem to be able to reply to your message, but I can reply to my own so here goes.

I see your issue now, yes.  Status is one of the system fields you can't amend.  I forgot that;  I've used my own field, Stage, for the grouping. (And I've stopped using status as it was confusing to have two similar fields).

Screenshot 2024-02-06 103804.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2024

Hi @Rebecca Graf , we looked into it and ordering statuses in the status field is.... complicated, because it's a workflow. We've parked this for now. 

However, based on your workflow (which looks pretty linear, which is quite common for PM workflows) then I'd suggest doing what @Adrian_Lester described in another comment: create your own select field with those stages, and you can order them however you like. 

You can then "pin" this field and unpin the Jira status field in the idea right sidebar. 

Rebecca Graf February 7, 2024

Hi @Tanguy Crusson , thanks for the feedback. We anyways already have so many fields I have to sort by workarounds that I do not want to add additional fields if not absolutely necessary. Teams are also very much used to the status field from Jira Software.

Any chance that something similar to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Pro-tip-reordering-statuses-in-the-status-field-dropdown/ba-p/2422657#M1656 (using the properties to sort the status) will come soon?

Would be okay for me to wait a while.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events