Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voting Questions

CJ Harries September 28, 2023

I've got the same issue as others attempting to migrate from another product that allows us to collect long-term feedback on ideas. We have a pool of suggestions that an entire organization actively contributes to and we prioritize QoL dev tasks from this pool of ideas. Dot-voting could work if the feature were fully implemented, but it's not.

• Votes can't be touched by the low-code Automation
  • There is no API
  • There are no JPD-specific API docs I can find which means I'm not sure if I can touch vote fields (or reactions as mentioned in another thread)
  • Reaction fields have no constraints, meaning one user can spam reactions

I think it's very reasonable to ask

• when JPD expects to put "upvoting" on the roadmap
  • when the API or documentation will be updated to cover JPD fields like votes and reactions
  • when Automation will be expanded to handle JPD fields

1 comment

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2023

Hi,

Today Jira Product Discovery is a prioritization and roadmapping app. 

The "Votes" field in Jira Product Discovery (JPD) was optimized for point-in-time voting: you share a view to a list of people, you give them a budget, and they allocate this budget among a list of ideas. It's meant to be used as a way to start the right conversations (which isn't so much the number of votes but why people think X vs Y is important). It's a great tool to get a pulse when starting a new quarter for example, to know where everyone (sales, support, leadership) stands - before starting the more in-depth conversations. 

We have not designed JPD to be a crowd-sourced idea collector. Frankly I'm not sure we should - A few of us are still traumatised by our time using UserVoice for this while working on Hipchat 😅 and we have received similar feedback from customers using this kind of method. Here was a common story:

• You have a top feature request in the portal
  • People keep voting for it, then get frustrated when it doesn't get done. 
  • You're not always in a position to prioritize it, and people piling on doesn't help.
  • Even if you get around to shipping it, you notify people, it then disappears from the list, and #2 takes its place
  • Rince and repeat

... Not a great experience for the customers, nor the product team, lose-lose. Some teams have managed to do this successfully for sure, but it's easy to get it wrong. So we've been careful not to design JPD for that. 

We do, however, understand you need the right feedback loops with internal and external stakeholders - and want to make Jira Product Discovery the best app for that. But it's most likely not going to be via dot-voting/crowdsourcing your roadmap. 

Like # people like this
CJ Harries September 28, 2023

Based on your response, I think you've only answered one of my three questions. The first answer seems to be that upvoting will never be put on the roadmap and, therefore, we will constantly have a plethora of point-in-time dot-voting fields stuck in the field list forever. I don't see any response for API/API docs or Automation coverage of fields like votes and reactions.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2023

Forever is a really long time, I wouldn't go that far 😂

Otherwise the other fields will eventually be supported by the API and Automation - I'll spare you the details but basically we built them in a way to be able to experiment quickly, and now we're in the process of moving them to a better solution inside Jira to support API, Automation, JQL and other things. It's not going to happen overnight but it's on the roadmap. 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Mark_Gallier June 11, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson thanks for your explanation on the above. I just wondered if it would be possible or if people have asked before if we could remove the text box field that is currently mandatory when voting? Will it be possible to just allow voting without the need of having to give a reason?

Matt Heckroth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 18, 2024

How can I turn on this feature for a voting exercise I want to run?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events