cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targets: Jira linked to Product Discovery Road Map

Sierra West
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2024

Hello! I'm testing Product Discovery for our team that uses Jira as our main software. 

I'm trying to see if the Epics on our Jira boards can be linked to the Product Discovery Road map, and the Target Date on the linked Epic Card in Jira translate to the placement on the timeline of the Road Map in Product Discovery. 

3 comments

Julie Spokus February 9, 2024

Hi Sierra-

I don't think you can link an Epic to the Product Discovery Roadmap view. The way I think of JIRA Product Discovery (JPD) is it is the left-side of the project journey. An idea becomes either an Initiative or an Epic in a JIRA project and tracking the progress of that initiative or epic is either done in the JIRA project timeline or in Advance Roadmaps.

You may be able to have an automation update the Project Target date of an Idea in JPD based on a field that is set on an epic that is linked to that Idea. I have an automation that creates an Initiative in a JIRA project when an Idea has been "approved" so I know that works.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas for what you are trying to accomplish.

-Julie

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2024

Hi @Sierra West -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, and...to Julie's answer:

If you decide you want to try automating what you ask (i.e., setting a JPD idea's date field with a date from a Jira issue), please note that JPD uses its own version of a "date field".  Those contain two dates (start and end), stored as text, in a text-formatted array. 

For example:

"customfield_10102""{\"start\":\"2023-10-31\",\"end\":\"2023-10-31\"}"

And so your rule will need:

• to be multi-project in scope (stored with the global rules and created by your Jira admin),
  • use text functions to build the JPD "date field", and
  • make the update using JSON advanced edits.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Adam Arrowsmith likes this
Julie Leonard February 9, 2024

We are doing something similar to what @Julie Spokus suggested. 

I am linking "Feature Epics" to Ideas in Product Discovery and then through JIRA automation update Product Discovery workflow status and a custom field that contains the FixVersion. This could possibly be adapted to get the FixVersion end date and update the Product Discovery Target date with that. 

We have monthly releases that contain the year and month in the naming, so it's easy to see when an idea is expected to be shipped. 

We have been using Product Discovery now for about 2 months and its integration abilities with Jira Software are working well for us from an automation and also people process perspective. 

Best - Julie

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2024

Hi Julie, thanks for sharing your suggestion in the Community! How is it helpful to you to have those dates/fix versions from Jira Software reflected in Jira Product Discovery?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2024

Hi @Sierra West we're actually rolling this out soon! We can get you on the Early Access Program and I'll enable it for you on Monday. Thanks for making my day as a Product Manager, it's so satisfying when we're rolling out a solution just as users ask for it.

I'd love to chat to you about how you intend to use the feature and help you get started with Jira Product Discovery, would you like to jump on a 30min Zoom call with me? Here's my Calendly link to book time.

Like # people like this
JJ McKinnon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 11, 2024

OMG I was just looking at how we could link epics back to JPD in a neat way. Would love to learn more about this too @Rohan Swami 

Mart Postma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2024

Hi @Rohan Swami - we would love to be part of the EAP as well if possible! Thanks

Antal Vig _ Communardo February 11, 2024

Hi Rohan, could you get me on that EAP as well. That sounds rather exciting and something I could use for a presentation about JPD next month. 

Mirko Grahnert February 12, 2024

@Rohan Swami I would love to find out more about this feature - and potentially be part of the EAP! 

Freyr Guðmundsson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 12, 2024

Same here! We want to be a part of this EAP as well :) @Rohan Swami 

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2024

We've turned it on for you @Sierra West  @JJ McKinnon @Mart Postma @Mirko Grahnert @Freyr Guðmundsson. Can I request that you book in a short 30min Zoom call to share your use case and feedback? Here's my Calendly link to book it in.

And here's a Loom demo to get you started.

@Antal Vig _ Communardo I wasn't able to work out which is your site. the feature will roll out for you and everyone else in the next few days.

Like # people like this
Tere Pile February 14, 2024

Definitely a want! Not quite ready for EAP here, but it would be a selling point w/our group in merging sites (we have 2) into 1, so that delivery and visibility become fare more powerful. May check back in towards end of month! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events