Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaboration with external customers to gather ideas on a new list/view

Ree Agarwal January 18, 2024

Hi,

We have recently installed JIRA product discovery tool on our cloud instance and have been exploring the concept of creating ideas and other rating features internally.

We would now like to open this to our customers to collect their paint points and product improvement ideas such that we can then collate all and then based on voting and rating from the customers, we can define our product roadmap.

The issue that I am facing here is that when I try to create a new view or list, it populates with the current internal ideas that we have already added for consideration. If I try to empty the new view/list it deletes the ideas completely.

So is there a way to create a blank list with no ideas in it, with the required columns that I can then share just with the required customers to share their ideas?

Also is there a way that I can share only that view with the customers without them seeing the other internal view or ideas that we have on the board. 

Thanks

Ree

3 comments

Mart Postma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2024

Hi @Ree Agarwal

That is for sure possible, here are some suggestions/options to achieve this using a bit of a work-around. Not ideal, but with the current functionality of JPD maybe the only option.

Empty Idea List View

• Option 1: create a new custom field with a (multi-)select option, and create for example tags like "Iteration 1", Iteration 2", etc. Then for the view you would like your customers to use, apply a filter on the correct tag to show the (new) ideas of customers only in that view.
  • Option 2: similarly, you can add a new status in your workflow in which you would like all customer ideas to start in. Then simply filter on that status, and you will have an empty view from the beginning - assuming that your existing ideas will not have this status.

One View Sharing Only

It has not been released for everybody, but the JPD team is currently releasing this new feature: Stakeholder Early Access Program - so I would suggest requesting access to this program if it is a pressing feature for you and your team.

That's all - good luck implementing!

Ree Agarwal January 21, 2024

Hi @Mart Postma 

Thanks for your response. I will check the options regarding the custom field and status and see if they help. My next question here is that even if I create the filter in the view, the customers will still be able to see the other views as well as I couldn't find an option to share just that single view to collect ideas from them.

My aim is to use JPD to collect ideas and pain points from customers to be able to identify and prioritize the ones that would be most beneficial for our product as per market trends and product enhancement/improvement.

I also checked the shareholder early access program link and that is more to provide the shareholders with the view of your defined roadmap. This will be useful to me but in later stages. I am currently at the stage of gathering customer stuff to be added to our internal product roadmap before sharing the final version with the stakeholders.

Like Mart Postma likes this
joachim ramberg January 19, 2024

I would propose a issue collector function similar to company-managed projects for product discovery.

Like Jonathan Blackburn likes this
Jonathan Blackburn January 19, 2024

As Joachim said - I believe the usual recommendation would be to use forms or issue collectors to collate these inputs. The JPD team talk through how they collect feedback here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/How-does-the-Jira-Product-Discovery-team-work/ba-p/2314917

It depends a bit on your context and role here. If you're a team of product managers according to the textbook definition then I wouldn't really suggest that you let customers enter ideas directly especially if you're operating at any scale. The PM team owns the ideas backlog and should be controlling what goes in. You as a team could then review the feedback from your customers, set up interviews to dig deeper where required and then add (or not) to your JPD ideas backlog as ideas or insights.

If you're in more of an order taking setup then I'd imagine Jira Service Management might be better suited to your context however I'm sure you could still try using JPD if you really wanted to. 

joachim ramberg January 19, 2024

Good points! If an issue collector would exist the ideas submitted through it whould have to be flagged in some way so that it's possible to filter them out. 

Ree Agarwal January 21, 2024

Thanks @Jonathan Blackburn 

I will check the video and hope that it would help answer my questions. 

As you mentioned I want to use JPD to collate customer feedback for ideas i.e. functions, features, capabilities that they would like to see in our product that would help in their business as well as current pain points that they would want our product to address. Not everything that the customers suggest will go into our product backlog. 

We are conducting user forums with our customers and my objective was to use JPD as the tool to collect the above directly through a view which then we as the organisation would review and sort and prioritise the required ones in the product roadmap on a separate view. 

Jonathan Blackburn January 22, 2024

@Ree Agarwal - so from what I've seen from JPD so what I wouldn't use it as a place to store all feedback but rather use the insights feature to tag the feedback/learnings/etc from whatever system they're captured in (Teams/Slack/Jira Service Mgmt/Confluence/wherever) to the ideas in JPD. 

You could create Ideas and just add a custom type=customer-feedback if you wanted to store the backlog of feedback in JPD. The select ones could then be changed into type=feature idea. 

Like Ree Agarwal likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events