Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transition to JDP

secutechconsultingservices April 13, 2024

Hello,
We currently utilize Jira Work Management to manage product engineering ideas, specifically under the "idea" issue type, with a straightforward workflow (open, in progress, and done). We're considering a transition to Jira Product Discovery and are looking to import all ideas into JDP with a completely new workflow.

I'm aware that we might use CSV export/import or a bulk move for transferring the data. However, could you guide me on how to transfer Jira issues between Jira Work Management and JDP when the workflow statuses differ? Also, could you please outline the steps I should follow to ensure a smooth transition?

Thanks for the support in advance 

3 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2024

Hi @secutechconsultingservices 

I would bulk move over export/import, to ensure the issue history remains intact. You can just bulk move issues between JWM and JPD like any other Project.

To move issues, you will need the JPD Project set-up first.

---

To do this...

1. Go to Filters > View all issues
  2. Search for the relevant issues
  3. Next, in the top-right, select the breadcrumbs button (...)
  4. From the select list, choose Bulk change all N issue(s)
  5. On Step 1, select the issues to move. You can select "all" using the checkbox in the title row
  6. On Step 2, select the option Move issues
  7. On Step 3, Select your JPD Project, and the relevant Issue Type (eg. Idea)
  8. On the next screen, map existing statuses to new statuses
  9. Next, on the fields screen, populate/map required field(s) here
  10. On Step 4, check the mapping - then press Confirm to complete the move

---

A few notes...

1. I found in (9) that some fields were marked as mandatory, but I didn't populate any of them and pressed next - and it still let me move the issue(s)
  2. As JPD Projects are based on Team-managed Projects, and do not yet utilise global fields, it is likely fields like Story Points, Components, etc will become NULL during the move. You might be offered the option to map this data across as part of (9), depending on the field

---

For (2) in the notes list, you could...

1. Export all issue field data prior to the move
  2. Move the issues to the new JPD Project
  3. Re-export the data
  4. Map the field data to the new Issue Keys, based on Issue ID
  5. Re-import the field data into your new fields post-move

Whilst the Issue Key will change when moving between Projects, the Issue ID should remain static and will be the common denominator between the two exported lists.

See more information on CSV imports on this help page

---

Let us know if you need any further advice, or more detailed instructions for exporting/importing the data!

Ste

secutechconsultingservices April 14, 2024

Thank you very much, Stephen. I'd like to clarify that I do not intend to move the issues from JWM, instead, I need to copy them. In other words, I do not wish to disturb the existing setup in JWM. I simply want to copy all issues to JDP to demonstrate its capabilities to the Products VP 

secutechconsultingservices April 16, 2024

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ thank you very much, Stephen. I'd like to clarify that I do not intend to move the issues from JWM, instead, I need to copy them. In other words, I do not wish to disturb the existing setup in JWM. I simply want to copy all issues to JDP to demonstrate its capabilities to the Products VP

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi @secutechconsultingservices 

Assuming you don't have an App that can do this, I'd probably suggest export/import.

Do you need specific instructions on how to do that? If yes, is there any specific custom configuration/data which is important to copy from JWM?

Ste

secutechconsultingservices April 16, 2024

hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I don't have an app for that task.

I'm also unsure if there's any specific custom configuration or data that needs to be transferred from JWM since this is my first time handling such a task.

Is it possible to connect for 30-minute to discuss this?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Muhammad Khan April 13, 2024

To transfer Jira issues between Jira Work Management and Jira Product Discovery with differing workflows, use CSV export/import or bulk move options. Define mapping between old and new workflows. Ensure fields compatibility and consider testing data integrity before final transfer. Communicate changes to users and provide training if needed. Update any automation or integrations accordingly for a smooth transition. For more information about SASSA srd status check click on this link. https://sassasrdstatuscheck.net/

secutechconsultingservices April 14, 2024

Thanks a lot Muhammad. I don't want to alter the current setup in JWM. Instead, I'd like to duplicate all issues to JDP to showcase its features 

0 votes
secutechconsultingservices April 15, 2024

I'd like to clarify that I do not intend to move the issues from JWM, instead, I need to copy them. In other words, I do not wish to disturb the existing setup in JWM. I simply want to copy all issues to JDP to demonstrate its capabilities to the Products VP 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events