Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When an idea isn’t an epic

Peter Heidorn November 28, 2022

Sometimes ideas can be big enough that they deserve to be on the roadmap but the technical delivery work is very small. Perhaps just one Jira card.  It’s important that we have visibility of the idea but due to the size of the work it’s not deemed epic worthy. 
Does anyone have any feedback on best practice? 
I can see I can relate ideas to other issue types so that’s an option but it does feel a bit complicated. Should we be considering creating epics anyway? 

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Beau Fruits November 28, 2022

Two thoughts here: 

1. You can link to a single user story, instead of an epic. 

2. There's no reason you CAN'T use an epic, even if the feature is small/specific.  Sometimes it's handy as you go, because the related stories start coming out of the woodwork, and you end up with 5+ stories or tasks.

Ben Arundel November 28, 2022

In this instance, I create/ link to a story so we can still keep track of the delivery. I don't think there is a rule that the idea has to link to an epic; you can link it to any issue type. 

Like Peter Heidorn likes this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

Any issue can be manually linked, but it would be nice if the issue type to create for delivery was selectable, as opposed to only have Epic as an option.

Like Peter Heidorn likes this
Peter Heidorn November 28, 2022

@Gary Spross I think you can select easily here!
types.jpg

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

Hmm, I wonder if this is a recent update. I swear last time I created a deliverable issue, it would only create it as an Epic.

In any case, this is great! Thanks for sharing that!

Like # people like this
0 votes
John Sayers November 29, 2022

Hi Peter,

We advise our teams to log all ideas on Product Discovery, regardless of size. Could be a small piece of work (story), an Epic (multiple stories), a Proof of Concept, a large project, pretty much anything they want. They can add a custom fields to categorise the work (Technical Debt, Small Change, Large Project, Small Project, Feature, Bug Fix, etc.).

The real power is when you assign Effort and Impact, in that you can then use the matrix to decide what you will and won't actually do, and prioritise work for teams. See matrix below which you could of course filter by Team, or Customer, or Category of Work etc.

It's really useful at meetings, and steering groups, to help prioritise. E.g. you will likely do all Top left items, never bottom right. 

Hope that helps.

John.Matrix.png

Peter Heidorn November 29, 2022

Thanks for feedback @John Sayers 

Appreciate it. 

0 votes
Brian Channell November 28, 2022

As Beau mentioned I would just attach a story instead of an epic. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events