Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to aggregate ideas from multiple projects?

matan.grady August 9, 2023

Hi!

I wonder if there is (or considering) a way to aggregate ideas from multiple projects.

The use case is that each team may have its project/roadmap, and let's say of which each team selects the 20% the should interest the majority of the company.

Then, we could aggregate these 20% (based on a custom field) to show on a roadmap that contains ideas from multiple projects.

That should improve the roadmap in the eyes of the stakeholders who can see the most impactful initiatives in one place instead of "jumping" between 10 different roadmaps.

Is there any way to achieve that?

5 answers

2 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2023

Hey Matan, 

For the moment it is not possible to "aggregate" multiple ideas from different projects into one single project/view, but i just want to let you know that we are currently exploring this problem space and that we are planning to provide you with some solutions to achieve this this year ;) 

The two suggestions provided by Andy and Julie are great work around - both help you to have an overview. 

using the advance search to filter on idea from multiple projects, you don't have to recreate anything, but it means that you are outside of the nice look & feel of Jira Product Discovery, which is probably a big miss. But then you could reuse this filter in a Dashboard for example - so that could make it looks a bit nicer :) I would suggest more this one if you need to have this data up tot date very frequently , like it's something you check daily/weekly. 

Creating a new project and then adding ideas from other projects as delivery items enable you to have these "master ideas in Jira Product Discovery, but it means most of your ideas are duplicated, and it would surely takes few automation rule, or a lot of manual work to set up/maintain. I'm guessing this is more in the case you'd need this view quarterly for example, so you can spend a bit of time every quarter to make sure your master project is up to date. 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Marc
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 10, 2024

We are also struggling with this and maybe there's a solution meanwhile.
Our setup is one very large Product Discovery project for about 15 software teams. The work happens in various Jira software projects of course.
Most big features are cut into smaller Discovery tickets, spending over weeks or maybe 1 or 2 months. 
What we are missing, is a way to provide an aggregated view on the delivery of the big features spreading across multiple Discovery tickets, spread in multiple teams. This view on the roadmap is relevant for executives who are not interested in the splitted of the big feature but want one timeline/view for a big feature.  
I understand that we can group them by creating a "Feature" field but still this view would consists of many Discovery tickets, instead of one "item" that has a summary and a clear start and end date.
Is there a solution to this and did I just miss it?

Thank you!

Marc 

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2024

Hi Marc, 

No, you aren't missing a feature, it's not really possible to do what you describe in Jira Product Discovery.

I believe in your usecase, you would both need our upcoming feature regarding cross-project views (one view agregating ideas from multiple projects) as well as  hierarchies that would enable you to group ideas under an "item"/"Feature" instead of using a field to achieve this. We are currently working on both features, stay tuned in this group for updates on these. 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Like # people like this
2 votes
Andy Lutz August 10, 2023

Hi Matan!

The way I'm currently planning to do this is using a custom field like you suggest, which our teams can use to mark their "top" features.

Then in Advanced Issue Search, I'll use a filter that aggregates all our JPD projects, but filters for only ideas marked as a "top" feature.

Would love to hear if anyone else has suggestions.

Best,

Andy

2 votes
Julie Daniel August 9, 2023

Still learning myself but off the top of my head, you could possibly try having a 'King of all Kings' PD project using key customers to represent your other projects and use the delivery links to hook the other PD projects up to your parent one? Just a thought

Laura Kessell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 10, 2023

I like this idea... but don't know what you mean by "use the delivery links to hook the other PD projects up to your parent one." Can you say more about this? What do you mean by delivery links?

Julie Daniel August 10, 2023

Hey Laura

I was thinking on the delivery tab for the PD idea, use the 'Add a delivery ticket' (or 'Create a delivery ticket' to add related tickets from other projects so you can track their progress, whilst assigning value/effort and other weighted measures to the PD idea:

Screenshot 2023-08-11 153143.png

Like # people like this
1 vote
Hugo Cheong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 17, 2023

My recent scenario is that my CFTs and Product teams would love visibility of insights of a particular customer across all JPD projects. I think its similar to this overall "aggregation" idea.

0 votes
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2023

Hi @matan.grady

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

One way I can think of doing this is to create a consolidated board and sync all ideas to that single board by using a synchronization app like Exalate. You can then control granular aspects of this integrations as to what updates flow in what direction i.e. if the consolidated board makes an update to the idea, would you want that to flow back or not. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Majid

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events