Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goal specific impact

andrew.dunne March 7, 2024

Hello all,

I'm exploring Jira Product Discovery and need guidance on configuring impact scores against our product goals.

Ideally I'd like to be able to set the impact at a goal level whilst keeping the effort at the idea level then be able to sort ideas based on their combined impact across all goals.

For example, if implementing SSO is expected to have a high impact on winning enterprise customers and a moderate impact on increasing revenue, while a new workflow feature might have a low impact on enterprise customers but a moderate one on revenue, how can we set up and prioritise these features based on their varied impacts across different goals in Jira Product Discovery?

Any guidance or worked examples here would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Andrew

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ted March 7, 2024

My immediate thought would be that you could create fields that capture goal impact + set up a custom formula. 

So create a new custom field (rating, number or slider) per goal i.e. "revenue impact" "enterprise customer impact", add them to a new view, and assign values to them per idea. 

You could then create a "custom formula field" to calculate, for example, the average impact score across all impact fields to give you an aggregate score - which you could then use to help prioritize. You could also plot these values in a matrix view. 

andrew.dunne March 7, 2024

Cheers Ted, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this! I'll give this a go and report back.

Denis Paul March 7, 2024

If you want the impact score, you could add all the goals in "positive" and the effort in "negative" similar to our approach 

impact.png

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2024

Thanks Ted! Yep that's exactly what we'd recommend you do: create different rating fields, one for each aspect you care about. 

Like Ted likes this
andrew.dunne March 14, 2024

Thanks for the advice @Ted and @Denis Paul this solution works for me.

Building on this it would be great if these fields could be made conditional based on the presence of a goal. e.g. don't allow a user to configure the impact against revenue unless the revenue goal has been set, same with enterprise customer impact. etc.

Happy to add this as a feature request or add my own feedback to an existing one if it exists.

Thanks again for the help both! 

Ted March 14, 2024

@andrew_dunne 

Welcome! You might be able to get what you want by using automation, adding a condition to when a field change happens, but I'm not sure this is possible. Maybe someone with more knowledge about automation will help here! 

Like andrew.dunne likes this
Denis Paul March 14, 2024

I agree that automation could be the solution. But I would go for a simple approach: 0 on a specific goal means the goal is not set. Trust people to do the right thing ;-) 

Like andrew.dunne likes this
andrew.dunne March 14, 2024

@Denis Paul have you met people? Just kidding, probably slightly overkill for now. Thanks for the advice!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events