Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Idea Workflow +/- Company-Managed Project Type?

J P May 28, 2024

Global Fields is so helpful for aligning our product groups!!!

Are there plans to implement a similar idea for Idea Workflows? ... is there an end game to essentially make JPD projects work as company-managed?

2 answers

0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2024

Hi there! Jira Product Discovery is going to stay on Team-managed projects, however we're going to progressively make it so you can share configuration between projects - e.g. global fields, global views, project templates.

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson , 

I appreciate the transparency, as I've been asking about JPD having a Company-managed alternative at some point. That said, I do have to ask why the decision was made to go with what is essentially a "Team-managed hybrid" approach?

I appreciate the introduction of Global fields, but it would be so much more straight forward, from an admin perspective, to be able to utilize custom fields. Custom fields already exist and the configurability is understood. Global fields are accessed in a completely different area within Jira. This adds configuration complexity to, in most cases, already complex setups.

It did appear at some point that Company-managed was going to be pursued based on the fact that the Permission Schemes introduced an "Other permissions" section that had permissions relating to JPD projects. This section still exists when a new permission scheme is created. Are these permissions ever going to be utilized/implemented? If not, will they be removed at some point?

As an Atlassian admin for my company, I loathe Team-managed projects. So much so, that we've disabled them from being created. We require standardization and we can't enforce that with Team-managed projects. With JPD being built on the Team-managed platform, it limits our ability to enforce standardized configurations across projects. It also causes a lot more work when we do attempt to standardize because any changes need to be replicated within each project individually, which is very inefficient.

All this to say, I'm a fan of JPD. I'm very happy with the changes being made to it and the speed at which these changes are rolling out. I'm just giving my two cents because I want to see this product become the best that it can be.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Like Floating electron likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2024

Hi @Gary Spross , I hear you, we can't have it all!

That being said, you should check out the global fields experience for JPD:

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 16.01.29.png

We plan to keep adding global admin options for things like fields, views and project templates but in team-managed projects while focusing on ease of use for the UX - I don't see us moving away from that approach anytime soon.

Like Naz James likes this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson ,

But I like getting AND eating the cake! ; )
That statement makes me sound like a true customer, eh?

We have been utilizing the Global fields feature for JPD. I do think it's intuitive and easy to navigate. I'm just not a fan of having different areas of the UI to navigate to in order to perform different, but similar configuration changes (one of my biggest frustrations is menu differences within Jira!; Maybe the new UI will begin to address my criticisms with that).

Global fields are basically custom fields, but specifically for JPD, so in my mind, it would make more sense for this feature to be located in the "Issues" settings section, under a JPD header. Maybe even a JPD header within the Fields header (but now I'm getting crazy, I know). The limitations on Global fields has also been an issue for us. Namely the limitation that if a custom field contains additional contexts, it can't be used as a Global field. That's bitten us on a few occasions now. It would be beneficial if I could still utilize these fields, even if I had to specify a context and could only utilize 1 for a "Global field". I do realize this feature is actively being improved upon though, so I'm hopeful many of the limitations will eventually be resolved.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
0 votes
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2024

I would love to see JPD projects be company-managed style! Pretty please with a cherry in top!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events