Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contributor idea submission via the top turquoise `Create` button doesn't use the submission form

Jing Deng May 8, 2023

A contributor submitted an idea via the top turquoise `Create` button instead of the white `Create an idea` button. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.24.25 PM.png

He got a blank description field instead of the template we set up for the idea form.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 4.26.05 PM.png

It'd be great to either make both buttons go through the same form or provide a single entry point to contributors.

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2023

Hi Jing, 

For the moment, the contributors can only use the "create an idea" button that we can see on your first screenshot in the left panel, and it's in this one they would see your template. 

The top Create button is only for creators, and to be fair we would even recommend the inline idea creation over using this button, as inline you have the full Jira Product Discovery experience (for example with the spliders, or the check boxes :) 

We are aware this top button isn't the best experience at the moment, and we will explore different solution on how to improve it, both for creators _and_ contributors - but for the moment, you'd indeed need to "tell" your contributors to use their dedicated experience (the "Create an idea" button). 

Cheers

Hermance

Michelle Yip May 16, 2023

Hi @Hermance NDounga ,
Thanks for the much-needed explanation. Indeed it is not intuitive, maybe a tooltip or a rename would help. Otherwise, I'll have to directly check with my contributors to know that they're seeing something different from the creators. 

Would you be able to suggest a way where my contributors can be made aware about this on their own (Eg. an auto-guided walkthrough or a tooltip)? My concern is that it can be manually-intensive to always keep in mind to tell new colleagues that join as contributors. 

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2023

That's a good point, we could surely improve the contributor experience in a self-service way. As the feature is just few weeks old wewill definitely look at feedback for a first round of improvement

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The colours are all down to your Jira "look and feel" configuration.

"Create issue" is for creating issues in business (to-do) projects, or Software projects (this is broken, can we have a new thing, type issues), and for support agents to create to-do items in support projects.  Create idea is for asking for new ideas.

You have not explained how you have implemented "templates", so that's the first thing I would look at, but "going through the same form" is going to be down to "using the same settings for our different projects"

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

I think the problem here is that we have one place to configure how a contributor will submit their idea (via the "Create ideas" feature, where we choose a view and a template), but if the contributor will use the regular "create an issue" button, then they actually override what we configured and get the vanilla form.

Not sure if there is anything to do about this, other than not allowing to create an idea from the general "Create" button...

Jing Deng May 9, 2023

Exactly @Omer Meshar ! It looks like I'm not the only one running into this issue. Tagging @Tanguy Crusson for visibility.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events