Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation that populates field value from JPR to Jira

Yuliia Vyborova August 2, 2024

Hello! 
I need automation that populates field value SPR or IPR to Jira ticket that linked as 'is delivered' to JPD idea. I set the following automation and log says Success but there are no change in Jira ticket.

Please see steps I set:

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 9.57.34 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-02 at 9.57.44 PM.png

Audit log says SucessScreenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.20.53 PM.png

But Jira ticket (2nd picture) that is linked as 'is delivered by' to Idea has empty value, however I se SPR value in JPD (1st picture)

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.21.49 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-02 at 10.22.11 PM.png

What I missed in automation rule?

2 answers

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2024

Hi @Yuliia Vyborova ,

Can you share the THEN component of your automation?

I believe you will want to Copy from Trigger issue if you do not have this selected.

It's also typically best practice to map to the same field-types, otherwise there may be some unexpected behavior.

It appears the "SPR or IPR" may be a single select option. Important to note that this option needs to be available within the "SPR or IPR item?" field's options. Automations do not have the ability to create new options, so they need to exist in order for the automation to work as expected.

Yuliia Vyborova August 14, 2024

@Nick H Sorry for delay, I was on vacation.

I just checked that SPR or IPR item and SPR or IPR? have the same field type and options. So it should populate values properly. Also, I am attaching THEN action

Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 6.59.19 PM.png

@Nick H also, I wonder what is the best way to keep both Idea and delivery tickets aligned? I see the potential issue with updating one field in Idea and need to update field on delivery ticket - that sounds like a not consistent way to do and also not scalabel so I appreciate any ideas here.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2024

Hi @Yuliia Vyborova ,

You should be copying from the Trigger issue in the THEN condition, and not the Current issue for this type of automation.

As for keeping both idea and delivery tickets aligned, you would need an automation designated for both directions - or realistically:

1. When delivery is created, map idea fields to delivery fields
  2. (After delivery created) When delivery field(s) updated, update idea field(s)
  3. (After delivery created) When idea field(s) updated, update delivery field(s)

We understand this isn't exactly scalable especially if there are lots of fields you want to keep aligned, but at this time it's only possible to update ideas <-> deliveries through automations. 

Yuliia Vyborova August 15, 2024

Got it, thank you @Nick H ! I adjusted THEN step and automation works now!

Like Nick H likes this
0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2024

Hey Yuulia, 

We have created templates in global automation that let you bring info from the idea to the delivery ticket. Can you use the first global template as the base for your rule? making incremental changes to the template so you reach what you're looking for 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Introducing-new-automation-templates-for-Jira-Product-Discovery/ba-p/2504036

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

thanks a lot @Hermance NDounga ! I will explore the article

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events