Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Management Practices (bookmark me!)

Hi everyone! Kesha (like kay-sha) here from the Jira Product Discovery marketing team. I’m a longtime Atlassian but have recently joined the JPD team (thanks for having me!) and wanted to both introduce myself and provide you with a resource to bookmark.

Over the next few months and beyond, I’ll be focusing on partnering with the product team to build out and share practices that will help you not just adopt Jira Product Discovery successfully but also adopt the right practices to support and better your product management craft. We’ll share practices that we’ve adopted (or maybe still trying to - nobody’s perfect!) on our journey of building Jira Product Discovery and from the larger Atlassian product management team.

For now, we’ll use this page to link out to key resources so you have it all in one place - make sure you bookmark it and refer back to it every now and then. We’ll be building this out gradually so if you’re looking for some specific tips or best practices, let us know in the comments below.

Looking forward to talking to many of you in the coming months!

Resources

I know many of you are also anxiously awaiting the product discovery handbook - we've been busy getting Jira Product Discovery ready to be generally available, and will kick this work off as soon as we can - stay tuned!

Cheers! 

18 comments

Comment

Kyren Cabellon June 8, 2023

Looking forward to this!

Congratulations on joining the JPD team!

Like # people like this
Sabine Lambrecht June 9, 2023

Hi

registered for the webinar and looking forward to it.

Can you check the date for the "Amsterdam"-session. Before registration it is June 28th. Once registered it changes to June 29th.

Like # people like this
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2023

thanks @Kyren Cabellon ! 

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2023

Awesome @Sabine Lambrecht ! Let me follow up with our events team to confirm, but it should be on June 28th. Likely a typo! Will get back to you asap. 

Sabine Lambrecht June 20, 2023

Hi @Kesha Thill. Do you have any more information about the date? The meeting request I've received is still June 29th. If it is on the 28th I would like to know as soon as possible so I don't have a conflict with other meetings.  

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2023

hey @Sabine Lambrecht ! it's the 28th - the message you got was a typo. June 28th, 10am! 

Sabine Lambrecht June 20, 2023

hi @Kesha Thill How can I get an invite with a new link. Because the one I've got is mentioning 29th of June.

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2023

@Sabine Lambrecht we will be sending you a new link! please let me know if you don't receive one in the next 1-2 days.

Like Sabine Lambrecht likes this
Josh Kronick June 29, 2023

The webinar was great! very good for a "getting started" point with JPD! @Kesha Thill  @Hermance NDounga  Thank you for your time and effort.

Like # people like this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2023

Hey folks, just a quick comment to let you know we have updated this page with two more resources you might find handy. An Atlassian PM shares how his team uses Jira Product Discovery. 

Part 1 focuses on ideation and triage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8R0cc3jzBU&t=22s

Part 2 focuses on prioritisation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3B0VU8sxE

More coming soon :) 

Like # people like this
Dana Weinbaum September 3, 2023

Hi,

When will there be a part about automation? More specifically - how to create the automation to (1) update the date in the Bubble-up field and (2) the automation to change the ticket status back to submitted after the time ran out?

Thanks

Like Jaime Laird likes this
Elizabeth Richards September 14, 2023

Just started studying JPD today! Wondering when to look for the product management best practice webinar?
There are so many features, I can see myself digging a rabbit hole!

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2023

Hey @Dana Weinbaum

sorry for slow response but here is a brand new YouTube showing how to use automation with JPD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQAWfv5_j8&t=4s 

And @Elizabeth Richards welcome! Here is a link to the on-demand webinar - just pop your details in to watch: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/get-started-jira-product-discovery

Like # people like this
David Nadri September 15, 2023

Hey @Kesha Thill @John McKiernan! cc: @Tanguy Crusson @Rohan Swami 

1) Could you please share the topics/table of contents planned for the Product Discovery Handbook so we can get an idea of what it'll contain?

2) Suggestion for the next PM resource/webinar on this page: 

"Mastering Practical Product Discovery with an Expert: A Live Journey Using Jira Product Discovery"

Could the JPD team please consider doing a webinar/video with a seasoned product/product discovery expert, like Marty Cagan, Teresa Torres, or other product discovery coach that focuses more on performing practical product discovery (while using JPD)?

While there's enough guidance on how to use JPD, a real-world exploration of how an experienced product professional conducts product discovery within the tool would be extremely valuable. 

For example, the webinar could demonstrate the following workflows using JPD:

1. Understanding the problem: Identify problems/opportunities from customer research and interviews, adding them as ideas in JPD (also linking them to tracked outcomes/OKRs in Atlas).
  2. Generating solutions and assumptions: Formulate and document hypotheses for opportunities in JPD's idea view/description, based on gathered insights.
  3. Running experiments: Execute activities such as prototyping, usability testing, and feasibility assessments to validate assumptions and solutions. Track tasks, progress, and results in the idea view within JPD.
  4. Delivery: Showcase how validated ideas seamlessly translate into well-defined epics and user stories in Jira, with easy links to the original JPD idea.

Witnessing this step-by-step journey, where an idea evolves through the discovery phase in JPD and emerges as a refined epic in Jira, would provide invaluable insights & demonstrate how JPD could be a valuable tool for implementing a structured product discovery process.

Like # people like this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2023

Hey @David Nadri

As ever thank you for your input here. I love the outline and couldn't have framed it better myself (literally!). 

In time, we would definitely love to have external experts like Teresa Torres come in and run a webinar/coaching session. 

In the meantime, we do have a webinar lined up next month (October) with our Head of Product (Tanguy) focusing on the most commonly asked questions around discovery using JPD. We are yet to complete the outline but will share the landing page here in the next week or two.

Please continue with any feedback you have!

Cheers,

John  

Like # people like this
Dana Weinbaum September 20, 2023

Thanks @John McKiernan ! Very helpful and much appreciated. 

Like John McKiernan likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
September 28, 2023

Hey all, 

Just a quick heads up that you can now register for the Jira Product Discovery practices webinar with Tanguy (Head of Product) coming up on October 24/25th. You'll get an email soon about it but sharing here for anyone who misses it :) 

https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-uplevel-your-product-discovery-practice-with-jira-product-discovery

The webinar will run for about one hour including 10 minutes for questions. Amongst other things, you'll learn how Tanguy and the Jira Product Discovery team:

• Collects and organizes product feedback from customers as well as internal teams

• Prioritizes ideas to work on and builds roadmaps

• Creates a continuous loop between product discovery and delivery

• Communicates progress to stakeholders

The focus is more on practices than the tool itself but naturally, we will show you how it is done in Jira Product Discovery! 

Like David Nadri likes this
David Nadri January 25, 2024

@John McKiernan @Kesha Thill - checking in...any update on when the Product Discovery Handbook will be ready?

Like Yalcin Yilmaz likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events