Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

269 comments

Mike Clesceri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 25, 2022

I am curious will of this banter change anything for Atlassian and the decision to sunset the MacApp? 

Brandon Wanamaker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 25, 2022

I just started using the app and I find it far better than the web experience. Please do not sunset the app until the web experience is on par with the app, at least. Please reconsider!

Like Isaac Moore likes this
Farid El Nasire
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2022

Very sad news! I'm a huge fan of the Mac app.

Like Isaac Moore likes this
Alex Devane January 25, 2022

What a shame. The Mac app had everything I ever needed. It's simpler and quicker to use than the website. Will you be allowing M1 Macs to download the iPad version of JIRA? 

Like # people like this
Skyler Shaw
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2022

You may want to check with your marketing team. I downloaded the Mac app last week (2020/01/18) after being referred by a banner in the web app to try Jira from the App Store.

gmichalopoulos January 26, 2022

Time to move to ClickUp I guess. If you think for a second that a 'web app' is better than a native macOS app, then I am sorry but you have no idea about what 'better user experience' means.. 

The macOS app was at best 'bearable' and cumbersome to use, but it was a macOS app so I used it. 

Jira is was good but have taken a wrong path... sorry to say, but unless you change your attitude you will lose every single user to ClickUp.. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 26, 2022

Call it sunset or whatever, it still is a very sad and incomprehensible decision. This is a very useful app and is working a lot better than the web-based version. So it's definitely no step forward but actually two steps back. 

It doesn't come as a surprise though, more strange decisions are made by Atlassian. Like 'inventing' something horrid as the Smart Links https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

Magnus Knutas January 26, 2022

@Irene Give them hell about it and fix it for us PLX!

Like # people like this
shakurov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Very sad..App for mac Os was very convenient..

Tomasz Czubocha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Very sad news for me either. My case is the same as Paul's: "Having a dedicated app instead of one more tab to keep track of was a real blessing. Swipe right to the furthest desktop space and there's my full-screened Jira interface".

Yuna Morgenstern
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

What can we do to stop the Sunsetting and support the macOs app?

The web app is not comparable with the macOs app.

There is not alternative after Sunsetting the macOs App! 

The Jira Cloud Mobile App is even incompatible with the M1 Macs :/ 

Please rethink over your decision or give us an alternative!

The WebApp is not an alternative!

And Please build do the same like MS Teams.

My WebApp Experience:

* Before the macOs app, I was opening new Jira tabs just for preloading, in case I would have to look at a ticket. cause the performance of the web app makes it unusable. 

* I also use partially already Pivotal Tracker and asana for a higher performance 

* I also close web apps constantly as they burn my computers memory.

* Overall the Webapps is currently only used by me to create advanced ticket descriptions and to configure things.

My MacOs App Experience:

* The first day is used the app, the experience was just a positive "WOW"! 

* The app is simpler, more responsive and fast - it saved me like 80% from my time.

* The app holds me currently back from choosing a different Ticket system.

* The MacOs App is so great, that I even ignore the ongoing pain of composing text

Like # people like this
adavison January 26, 2022

What a terrible decision. Now I have to have a tab dedicated to jira open amongst the dozens of pages I have open at any given time, with multiple browser windows.

Flipping to the jira app is a 2 second task. Finding a blasted web page is a significant pain.

Now, more than ever, JIra is starting to feel like the wrong tool.

Like # people like this
Marcus Mitchell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Very sad news indeed as I, and it seems many others prefer the native app over the web based offering. Good luck with products and progress in the future all the same.

Like Rob Sammons likes this
Alessandro Di Nepi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

This is very disappointing, the app was really a pleasure to use.

I used it daily since the early beginning and it really takes my relationship with JIRA to a new level, it would be hard going back to the web experience. It's hard to believe a web client can compete with Native app.

Please reconsider your decision.

Lukas Burgstaller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

"...the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved and gone beyond what is possible with the Jira Cloud for Mac app." - is this a joke?

The Mac app was already nicer to use, and importantly, faster than the web version ever was, even if I had to use the web version from time to time, because some features were missing in the Mac App.

Alex Protyagov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

I use app every day. Web-version is just painfully slow. Since they drop support I feel it might be a good time to look for another work management tool. 

Like # people like this
Magnus Knutas January 26, 2022

Starting to feel the revolution @Irene ? Most of us are only joining forum to tell you that this is bad, think about how many that are not joining but share our opinion ;)

Like # people like this
Faisal Ijaz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Really sad news. Our team uses the jira Mac app extensively. What about dark mode? There is no dark mode in the web app....

JustinKent
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Permission denied 😇

Brian Osborne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Not happy about this. A very simple app (which is exactly why I like it), it cannot be that hard to maintain. Atlassian definitely gets a big thumbs-down for this decision. "Our sole focus is ensuring you have the best possible experience with Jira". This is not a credible statement.

Thomas L Stanley January 26, 2022

Here's what I suspect is happening...Atlassian cannot find enough (good) developers for iOS/macOS, but the market is flush with mediocre "web" developers. They're most likely standardizing on an electron style wrapper to serve the needs of macOS, Windows, and heck even Linux "native" applications.  

Working for a software company, I know it's nearly impossible to find developers in these native paradigms.  The code schools and various boot camps are churning out web devs like nobody's business, but the dearth in non-web devs (so-called "backend devs"0 is well known in the community... This is clearly a business decision that I don't agree with, but I certainly understand their pain.  

Why not be upfront Atlassian?  It's obvious you don't have the technical chops in house to support, let alone further develop this application (I was personally annoyed your dev team asked me to QA a bug for them in the Mac App, not my job hire more QA).  People know a lie when it's right in front of them and I think it explains the outright vitriol you're getting from the community.  Don't lie bro, just be upfront it's ok!

Like effeKtSVK likes this
Brent Mifsud January 26, 2022

"However, since its launch in 2019, the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved and gone beyond what is possible with the Jira Cloud for Mac app."

To me this sounds like you don't want to maintain a separate app. Native apps will always be more performant and offer a better experience.

Like davemurdock likes this
davemurdock January 26, 2022

It’s worse than that. The iOS native mobile app is the same code as the Mac app. Widely reported Jira is using the “one checkbox” Catalyst feature, so 95+% of the code is the same. Hence, performance can’t be worse on the Mac app, it’s factually extremely unlikely.

Like Alessandro Di Nepi likes this
devAYZ
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

sad.. 😫

Hope hope the web page load time will be optimised 

Erik Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 26, 2022

Really? Atlassian (TEAM) has a market cap of over 76 BILLION USD and you can't afford to hire a good team of engineers to make the MacOS Jira app first class? That's pathetically cheap.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events