Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

269 comments

Chris Hatton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 26, 2022

Atlassian; if you don't think the economics of offering a Desktop App stacks up, that's your prerogative but please be honest about it. This statement:

"...the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved and gone beyond what is possible with the Jira Cloud for Mac app."

...is an insult to the intelligence of your users who are - in the main - developers after all.  A major reason to produce a Desktop Application is precisely because the performance and richness of UX attainable by a well crafted Desktop App will always be above that of a Web Application, and that remains emphatically true of the Jira Web/Desktop App.

Web Apps have a great place for 'occasional use' applications with high availability e.g. filing my tax return.  For everyday productivity I prefer to use a native App over a web app. Very disappointing to see this dropped, especially where there are a growing number of technology options to make native multi-platform support economically viable e.g. Kotlin Multiplatform, Flutter, Catalyst etc.

Like # people like this
Jacob Goldman August 1, 2022

@Irene - why not make a chrome app for jira so there is still an application that can be easily navigated to. You wouldn't need to support any new functionality as it would inherit whatever is coming from the web app.

Carlos Osuna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 5, 2022

I don't know why didn't you went for a Catalyst app as per Apple's suggestion and just extend the iPadOS app into the mac.

I enjoyed the "native" macOS experience (albeit am sure you used React Native or Electron) but it was way too buggy to be ready for primetime.

Daniel Bergquist August 5, 2022

@Carlos Osuna That’s pretty much what they did. Apple actually showcased Jira on stage as a leading example of a Catalyst app a couple years ago.

Rene Rivas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 12, 2022

Jira support needs help. Every time I reach out, it seems I get a copy and paste response from some generic help desk manual that is at times vague and I’m still left a bit confused. 

The lack of this and other missing features, I’ll be switching to another project management platform where features and support are truly available.

best,

RR

Matteo Caldari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2022

That's it, it's gone.. An app I used every day, which made me switch to JIRA because I could get things done so easily and quickly. 

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 10.22.15.png

Like # people like this
Paolo Pavan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2022

What the heck! You told us that we could have used the app even when wasn't receiving updates and today it got disabled!

Like # people like this
César
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2022

Aaaaaaaand it's dead. 💀

Luckily there's an iPad app, so with universal control we can still interact with a native jira experience from our keyboards.

I've heard one can sideload iPad/iPhone apps onto M1 Macs... might have to look into this. 

Like # people like this
lululombard August 23, 2022

Seriously Atlassian... I can't even use the app anymore. I might just ask our team to switch to the new GitHub issues, at least the web app isn't super slow like Jira is.

Like # people like this
Jackson August 23, 2022

Please, everybody who doesn't want to native macOS App being stopped, go vote here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78044 and write that we don't want an electron app, but a real native app. Otherwise, the issue is not being looked at, since the suggestion doesn't have enough votes yet.

Like # people like this
Joseph Wraith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2022

I'm totally unhappy with JIRA killing their Mac Desktop App. If I didn't have to use JIRA I would definitely not use it now. The website is slow and not easy to use. Thoughtless and terrible customer support decision. With my workflow opening a browser is a pain in the ass, the app allowed a text-like interface and worked faster. This is not appreciated at all. It was a better experience than the Website. Stupid, stupid decision.

Mikhail.Shlensky August 23, 2022

They are crazy .., aa🤪

Stephen Hankinson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 23, 2022

Very disappointed to see the Mac App has now been turned off. Please can you at least allow Mac M-Chip users to use the iPad app?

I think it's very simple to turn this on in the App Store. Currently it's disabled.

Brando Calrissian August 23, 2022

NOOOOOOOOO! For the love of god, WHY??

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.16.34 PM.png

Vadim Trifonov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2022

Please try to restart the app, we've reenabled Mac app versions 146 and higher.

Like # people like this
Brando Calrissian August 23, 2022

The app is working again! I first needed to delete the folder at:

~/Library/Containers/Jira
Like # people like this
Ben Pate
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2022

Where can I download version 148? Im stuck on 145...

Justin August 24, 2022

@Vadim Trifonov Oh, great, so you've extended the expiration date by some unknown amount. And what happens next time? Will someone decide not to extend it and just leave users with no options?

Why was this allowed to expire in the first place? We had almost a full day where the app was disabled simply because Atlassian ignored it. So much for a tool that you can trust with critical information...

Seriously, when is Atlassian going to get the message that discontinuing the app was a horrible decision?

Cuauhtemoc Hohman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2022

Following the advice from @Brando Calrissian worked for me, at least for now!

Though in my case I had to delete the following path:

~/Library/Containers/com.atlassian.jira.mac/
Like Mikhail.Shlensky likes this
Mikhail.Shlensky August 24, 2022

For me it works to delete 

~/Library/Containers/JIRA/container.plist

Radoslav
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2022

For me it works when I use Trello instead of Jira. They at least know how important is to have a dedicated desktop app, when it comes to doing a serious business.

Vadim Trifonov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2022

Where can I download version 148? Im stuck on 145...

The Mac app is no longer officially supported and cannot be downloaded, but we allow the users on the latest versions to continue using it for the time being.

Vadim Trifonov
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2022
Why was this allowed to expire in the first place? We had almost a full day where the app was disabled simply because Atlassian ignored it. So much for a tool that you can trust with critical information...
I appreciate your dedication to the Mac app; however, as it is no longer supported I suggest not rely on it for your critical work, and move to Jira on the web, or on mobile devices.
Jackson August 25, 2022

It was first said the the app will no longer be supported but we can still use it, just won't get any updates. I guess therefore the user asked why it was allowed to expire in the first place.

Will Jones August 25, 2022

"The Mac app is no longer officially supported and cannot be downloaded, but we allow the users on the latest versions to continue using it for the time being."

@Vadim Trifonov if that isn't a giant F U to your customers, I don't know what is.

Poor show.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events