Why can't I see my new custom field?

Micah Mutrux October 13, 2015

I've created a new custom multi-line text field called "Acceptance Test", but I can't see it on any tasks.  My goal is simply to get this field to show up as a text field anytime I'm looking at an issue.  I've checked these things:

• Assigned to screen?
    • Yes, it's assigned to the "Default Screen"
  • Field is hidden?
    • No, not hidden.  I can see it on secure/admin/ConfigureFieldScreen.jspa (config for Default screen)
  • Field requires permissions?
    • No, I did not explicitly set any permissions for this field.
  • Field assigned to a specific project?
    • No, I did not select this option when creating the field - I left this set to 'global'
  • Field targets desired issues?
    • Yes, I've specified bugs, stories & tasks.  When I look at a story, I cannot see this field.

Any other ideas?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2015

You've said "see it on the view screen".  You won't get that until there is data in the field.  Try editing the issue and making sure there is data in the field.

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2015

Micah,

Try using the JIRA Admin Helper tool. Just navigate to an issue where you cannot see it, select Admin > Where's my field and it will tell you. smile

If you're not seeing it in the View Issue screen, one possibility for example is that the field doesn't actually have any value yet, so try seeing it in the Edit screen first. 

Suggest an answer