Want to capture reason for transition change in workflow

With each transition change in our workflow, we want a selected list of values out of ALL values in our REASON custom field (dropdown) to appear. Simply said, this Reason dropdown has 20 values, roughly 4 each for each of the 5 transitions in the workflow. Now when I go from status A to status B, I do not want all the values to appear.

How can we achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 answers

1 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Nov 02, 2015

Being in the cloud you can't use scripts so I don't believe you'll be able to do it. even so, every time you go through a status change the field will be overwritten meaning you'll need to look in the history for the values at each transition. The obvious work around is to have a different select list field for each status change. the advantage to that is it will be easy to see what reason was used for each status as each will have its own field.

With plain JIRA I would suggest different custom fields for each different set of REASONS you need. Let's say you have a transition "Postpone" and one called "Reject". You want different sets of reason to pick in each one. Create a custom field "Reason for postponing" and one called "Reason for rejection" offering the different seelctions you need.

If you can come up with two different issue types for each you may use the custom field context feature. However, you will not be able to get around to maintain two or more different sets of values I am afraid.

Best regards,
George

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

265 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot