Two of same status in workflow

John Callery June 17, 2016

Hello,

I am creating a new workflow. I'd like it to look something like this:

Task Created (Open) > In Progress (In Progress) > Technical Review (In Review) > Project Manager Review (In Review) > Done (Done)

The problem is that we can't use two of the same "In Review" statuses. What is the best way to have two approval steps in the same workflow? The project manager won't always be the 'reporter', so I decided against using the "Resolved" status to accomplish this.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2016

Hi John,

You can add statuses to the workflow rather than relabelling the existing statuses. Instructions for adding statuses are at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/define-new-status-or-steps-in-jira-workflow-718835875.html

Add a new status for Technical Review and another for PM Review and have the workflow as you've described in your question.

Does that help?

Andrew.

3 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2016

Offhand, you'd point both "Review" transitions to the same status, but determine which one is available using a condition based on some non-empty custom field, such as "Technical Reviewer" (which you'd log during the first transition, to indicate that we are ready for the second one).

As in, "Technical Review" would have a Condition, "Technical Reviewer" is null, while "Project Manager Review" would have a Condition, "Technical Reviewer" is not null.  Or maybe just a pair of checkboxes indicating which review(s) are complete, instead of the actual reviewer(s).

0 votes
John Callery June 17, 2016

Hi @Andrew Frayling,

This is precisely what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your reply, as well, @Jeremy Gaudet - your solution actually helped me solve another issue!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events