Is it possible to associate a project with a client?

I am configuring a JIRA for my company, and I'm wondering if it is possible to associate clients with a project. I have a custom field for tasks, but I'd prefer to be able to set the client when we set the project as opposed to setting it with every issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 votes

It depends on what you want from the relationship.  What would "setting a client" be aimed at getting you? 

I've got some suggestions, but the best option very much depends on what you expect the association to actually do!

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Thanks fro the response. I really just want to associate projects with who we are doing them for, and be able to filter and sort through them like you can with a custom field. The custom fields on Issues would be fine, but you have to set them each time, and no one is going to do that if there are 100+ issues in a project.

Ah, that's an easy one then.  Create a new project category for each "client" and stick each project in the right one.

You can then use the search "category = x" to pull all issues for a client across all their projects.  (Or even "category in (x, y, z)")

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

933 views 5 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot