How do I stop tickets from being removed from projects when they are moved to a different status on my Kanban board?

I'm a PM for a small startup and want to setup a QA process.  We currently use JIRA Agile.  During our sprints, the dev team will move their tickets from To Do --> In Progress --> Done.  When it's moved to Done, the task gets dropped onto my QA Board (Kanban).  However, any time I move it from the initial status, the task is removed from the sprint.  How do I keep the task in the sprint (so we can track velocity) while still being able to move it through the QA process?

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

Make sure that in your board configuration, the In Progess and Done statuses are mapped to your columns.

What seems to be happening here is that when the task changes to a status that is not mapped to a column, it disappears from the board's Active Sprint view. It's not supposed to be actually dropped from the sprint, just from the board.

Another possibility is that your board filter restricts the statuses show in your scrum board. If the filter is made so that only To Do tasks are shown, it would have the effect you've described.

If the Sprint value in the task is really removed though, that's another issue. That would mean your workflow has a custom post function that clears the sprint. That wouldn't make much sense, but you never know.

Thanks for the input! I'll take a look at the settings and see if I can identify any of the issues.  Appreciate the time and effort.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,175 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot